Chapter 4: Job hunting part 2

Hiccup stood near the car fidgeting nervously. He saw Astrid come out of the mansion moments later and she looked flushed. "Are you okay?" Hiccup asked which startled Astrid out of her thoughts.

"Yeah....Yeah. I'm fine." Astrid said far too quickly. "Let's check what's next on the list then." She said and grabbed the newspaper. "Wanted: Risk taker, isn't afraid of chemicals, irregular work hours, free medical, and is fireproof."

"Wait what?" Hiccup asked and looked at Astrid surprised. "Fireproof?!"

"Yes. Fireproof." Astrid said. "You are fireproof right."

"Yeah" Hiccup nervously said. "We have the same abilities as the dragons that we are named after. It's just not everyday I get asked if I'm fireproof."

"I know that you guys can fly but I haven't seen you all use fire powers much." Astrid stated curiously.

"Yeah, that's because the others can't control their fires all that well. Take my cousin for example. He can light himself on fire but putting it out is a big problem."

"So you can't control your fire either?" Astrid asked as they got into the car.

"I can." Hiccup sighed. "I'm just not allowed to use it in the field."

"Why not?"

"Orders from above." Hiccup stated. "Apparently sidekicks do not upstage the heroes."

"Does your leader have rocks for brains?" Astrid asked as she frowned.

"No" Hiccup commented. "But when he was younger he hit his head on a rock and according to him the rock split in half."

"Are you serious?!"

"Yes, but personally I think he got a big headache." Hiccup said with a smirk which cause Astrid to guffaw.

"So where too?" Hiccup asked once Astrid had gotten her laughing under control.

"To the south side of town." Astrid said as she inputted the address into the GPS. When they finally arrived Hiccup had to ask "Are you sure this is the right address?" Before then stood an abandoned hospital.

"Yes it's the right address." Astrid said as they started walking towards the entrance.

"There are a lot of cameras here for an abandoned building." Hiccup commented as he looked around the lobby that they had just entered.

"Egh" Astrid said annoyed. "Where is the entrance to the lair?"

"Why not just ask the locals?" Hiccup stated as he formed a small plasma ball in his hand and smirked. Astrid raised an eyebrow when she saw Hiccup throw the ball at one of the cameras. The explosion was small but still impressive. In no time they were surrounded by guards dressed in gray jumpsuits with a familiar logo.

"I think I know who this lair belongs to." Hiccup whispered to Astrid as they held their hands up. "We come in peace!" Hiccup said to the men nervously surrounding them.

The men looked confused when Hiccup said that and one just had to ask "W..Why? You're the hero."

"Eh.... I'm here about the job offer." Hiccup told the man and the guards huddled together to discuss something. After a minute they turned around and nodded to Hiccup and Astrid before putting their weapons away.

"Alright, follow us." One of the men said as they began to lead the way.

"Wait just like that?" Hiccup asked perplexed.

Another guard shrugged. "We have seen weirder things from our boss."

"Yeah like karaoke night last week." Another added which caused the other guards to laugh.