Chapter 3

Mario and Luigi walked alongside Princess Peach and Toadsworth as they made their way to the center of town square. It was nearly time to start the grand celebration.

"What's the deal with the banners and balloons, and that weird clown?" Mario asked, glancing at a Toad wearing clown make up.

"You fellas actually arrived just in time! We're about to start Mushroom Kingdom's 70th anniversary celebration!" Toadsworth answered. Princess Peach walked onto a pedestal, clearing her throat as she prepared to speak. All the Toads stopped what they were doing and turned towards her.

"My beloved subjects of Mushroom Kingdom, it has been a long and wonderful seventy years since Mushroom Kingdom has been found. It is my pleasure to announce the beginning of the Mushroom Kingdom 70th Anniversary celebration!" Peach announced.

Everyone began to holler and cheer with excitement. Music started playing and everyone was beginning to get down and groovy. It was nearly half an hour into the celebration, and nobody had noticed the gigantic shadow looming over the Mushroom Kingdom. A Toad looked up, his eyes widening.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH" The Toad screamed in terror, running away frantically.

Suddenly, multitudes of anchors smashed into the ground, crushing some of the Mushroom houses. All of the Toads began running around while screaming in panic. Mario and Luigi looked up to see a huge battle fleet, led by a massive warship, fly into view. Goombas and Koopa Troopas began raining down on the city, terrorizing the citizens. Walking towards the helm of the warship, a large Koopa-like turtle-dragon observed the chaos. His red, spikey hair flowed in the wind. His red eyes gleamed with evil. The draconic beast roared with laughter as he observed his minions.

"BWAHAHAHAHA! Guess who's baaaackk?!" Bowser roared out, laughing evilly. Princess Peach gasped.

"B-Bowser?! I thought I...." Peach started. Bowser simply laughed harder.

"You what? Banished me to the Dinosaur World? Bah! You should've known no banishment can ever keep me from ruling the Mushroom Kingdom and making you my queen! You're mine! TAKE HER!" Bowser retorted. The Koopas grabbed Princess Peach and made off with her, climbing up towards the warship.

"YOU NASTY, UGLY, SINISTER CREATURE! LET ME GO! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!" Peach screamed. Mario and Luigi raced towards the Warship in a effort to save Peach.

"PEACH!!" Mario screamed.

"MARIO!" Peach screamed back, before being grabbed by Bowser. As if on cue, the helm of Bowser's warship converted into a giant cannon.

"Hey, chumps! I can see you're new here. Here's a little welcome gift from me to you!" Bowser cackled, firing a enormous Bullet Bill at the center of the town square. Luigi shoved Mario to the side as the two brothers narrowly dodged the massive explosion. Bowser cackled as he flew away, with Peach in his grasp.

"MARIOOOOOO!!!" Peach yelled as she disappeared into the clouds. The Toads emerged from the rubble of their once beautiful town, all whom having dismayed expressions on their faces. Toadsworth coughed as he stepped onto a large piece of debris.

"Oh no... The Princess.... Without the Princess, Mushroom Kingdom will fall into despair! Someone must save her!" Toadsworth exclaimed. Mario and Luigi dusted their clothes off and stood a foot from where Toadsworth was.

"We can save her." Mario boldly stated. Luigi looked at his brother with surprise.

"Mario, are you nuts?! You are seriously going to save the princess from that huge turtle monster? Have you seen you?!" Luigi questioned. Mario looked at Luigi.

"Hey, we can't just leave the Princess to her doom!" Mario replied.

"Mario, listen to me! We're not heroes! We are two normal, unemployed, somewhat unattractive men! Saving princesses are jobs for knights, not people like-a us." Luigi exclaimed. Mario frowned and crossed his arms.

"Luigi, this could be it! The better job! Little brother, we could be paid big if we do this." Mario replied. Toadsworth walked up to the two brothers.

"You said you'll save Peach?" Toadsworth asked. Mario looked around, seeing the Toads looking at him with hopeful faces. Mario turned back to Toadsworth.

"Yes. We're the Mario Brothers! We spent five years cleaning toilets and pipes and rescuing old ladies' cats! There is nothing we cannot do!" Mario exclaimed. Luigi groaned, rubbing his forehead. Toadsworth smiled.

"Excellent! Excellent, indeed! Everyone we have our newest heroes who are willing to rescue the Princess!!" Toadsworth announced. All the Toads began cheering excitedly. Toadsworth began examining the brothers.

"Hmm, if you're going on a dangerous quest, you'll have to obtain better attire. You can't simply save Peach in pajamas. Here, follow me." Toadsworth said, leading Mario and Luigi to a taylor shop. After an hour, Mario and Luigi walked out wearing brand new uniforms, one red and blue, and the other green and blue.

"Ooh, I love the color red! How'd you know?" Mario asked with glee. Toadstool chuckled as the taylor handed the brothers hats matching the color of their outfits. The hats had the intial of their first name written in the front.

"Master Mario, master Luigi, these outfits do indeed suit you. Are you sure you're ready?" Toadsworth asked.

"Yeah, we are!" Mario replied.

Well then, you are ready to embark on this noble quest! Good luck, young chaps!" Toadsworth exclaimed. Mario and Luigi nodded as they exited the town gates and set off into the beyond.