Chapter 11

Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi made a beeline for Mushroom Kingdom. It would be a while before they reach their destination, but Mario knew they could get to the kingdom in time to save everyone.

"How long until we get back to the Mushroom Kingdom?" Luigi asked.

"Half an hour more! We're almost there!" Mario replied. Yoshi increased his speed, bolting straight towards their final destination.

***

Back at Mushroom Kingdom, chaos ruled supreme. Koopa Troopas terrorized the poor Toads, locking them in cages, chasing them around, or forcing them to join a incredibly boring game of chess. Bowser overlooked his new kingdom, smiling widely.

"Look, Peach! Its beautiful! My dream kingdom has come true! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Bowser cackled. Princess Peach ignored him, knee-deep in thought. Suddenly, something caught Bowser's eyes as he turned his gaze to the front gates.

"Eh?! What is that?" Bowser questioned, looking through a telescope. He spotted the Mario Brothers and Yoshi heading for Mushroom Kingdom.

"WHAAAAT?! IMPOSSIBLE!!! THOSE CHUMPS COULDN'T HAVE ESCAPED!!!!" Bowser roared. Peach perked her head up and rushed to the balcony, seeing the trio. She gasped in joy.

"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! YOU'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE BUT WITH ME!!" Bowser snapped, grabbing Peach and heading towards his warship. Bowser climbed up on the helm of the ship, where he was visible to everyone.

"MINIONS! DESTROY THOSE PESKY PLUMBERS AT ALL COSTS! I WANT THEM DEAD!!" Bowser bellowed loudly.

As Mario and his companions reached the Mushroom Town's gates, every Goomba, Koopa Troopa, and Hammer Bro turned towards them. Mario looked at Luigi and Yoshi.

"Well. You know what to do... CHAAAAARRRGGGEEEE!!!" Mario hollered. Immediately, the trio and Bowser's forces clashed with each other. Yoshi swallowed hundreds of minions by the second while Mario and Luigi squashed more minions underfoot. Soon, all of Bowser's minions were defeated. Mario looked up and saw Bowser retreating into his warship.

"Bowser! You're not getting away! Come on, guys!" Mario exclaimed. Mario and Luigi held on to Yoshi as the dinosaur latched his tongue on the ship's helm, pulling himself and the brothers up to the ship. The trio climbed up onto the ship, only to find that Bowser left hundreds of more minions waiting for them.

"Mama mia..." Mario huffed. "Okay, on the count of three.... One... Two..." Mario began counting.

"THREE! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH" Luigi screamed, running through the myriad of exploding Bob-Ombs, dodging Bullet Bills, jumping over bear traps, and bulldozing through hordes of Koopas, Goombas, and more. Mario and Yoshi followed suit as they barged their way past Bowser's army. Mario and the others finally made it to the door leading to the ship's interior and ran inside. Entering the ship's halls, the three heroes searched every room for Bowser and Peach. Luigi came across a door and heard murmuring from the other side.

"Mario, Yoshi! Over here." Luigi beckoned. Mario and Yoshi rushed over to Luigi, following him to a large door. They all kicked the door open, hoping to find Bowser on the other side. Instead, they found Bowser Jr. sitting inside a room filled with pictures, mannequins, posters, and some plushies of Princess Peach while worshipping a shrine dedicated to her. Bowser Jr. stopped what he was doing and slowly turned towards the trio, bearing a "I can explain." expression on his face. Mario stood where he was, eyes wide and mouth agape. Luigi violently barfed out his stomach's contents while Yoshi wore a disgusted expression on his face, shaking his head in utter disapproval. Bowser Jr. just stood up and walked inside his closet and sheepishly closed the closet door.

"Well... I will never be able to shake that memory off my mind." Mario stated, breaking the silence. After a brief moment, the trio resumed their mission, barging through a much wider door leading to the ship's hull. When the trio pushed through the doors, they found Bowser waiting for them.

"Looks like I underestimated you chumps. Well, no more, because this is the last time you'll see your pretty princess!" Bowser growled. He stomped the ground, sending a shockwave that knocked the heroes down. Peach was tied up, hanging from the mast, watching Bowser knock her heroes down.

"Mario!" Peach exclaimed in a worryful tone. Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi recovered, facing a angry Bowser.

"It's time we end this here and now, Bowser!" Mario yelled.