11:59 p.m.

Moved over from a book on my old profile so... Probably written in August? Eh idk. It's not plagiarism if I wrote it (even though it was copy-and-pasted).

A dark haze covered the dimly lit street, covering the parked cars and numerous apartment buildings. I pulled my hood closer to my head to heat myself up more. Winter in the cold city was harsh, but enticing. Ice would cover the streets like a coddling mother, while snow piled onto the ice like a protective father. It was like a family, one that I never had.

A street light flickered, but shined twice as brightly in a few seconds. That was the first and only sign. A harsh sigh escaped my pursed lips, surprising me with its volume. Silence had shifted in the path of my sound, then tried to quickly mend the rift it had caused.

No one was out on the street, as expected. Barely anyone lived in this forsaken part of town anymore. Rumors of death had swarmed the area like incessant wasps. I, however, remained unaffected. Death never scared me, nor did it leave me alone. I pulled the collar of my parka closer to my neck, trying to cover the scar that laid there.

It was time to move again. Once again, the plague had followed me. My neighbors had already started to notice that the suicides happened when I had first moved in. Couldn't blame 'em, to be honest. The signs were obvious.

An unnatural chill crawled up my legs and to my spine. Already here, huh? I should have known, I had stayed too long. But something in me foolishly believed that he wouldn't find me, even if he could track where my heart was. The wards I had placed were useless, it appeared. Pity, I thought that they were going to be particularly effective this time around.

"You're 30 years overdue, Lily. You should've given my heart back to me when you were 25. Now you just prance around in your eternal youth and bring death to whomever is close enough. You've done nothing with the time you've stolen. A Great Demon's heart is not something to be taken lightly, you hear? I need it to stay at full strength, sort of like you." He said, stepping out of the shadows.

"Ryuu, you don't die if your heart gets taken. And I have done something, even if you can't understand what it is. There's nothing that you can do to make me give you your heart back. If anything, I'm the one with leverage. Demon hearts can still be torn out and ripped apart, remember? One small mistake with a pack of wolves and all will be gone. So you would be right in walking away from me, now."

He gritted his teeth before outstretching a hand towards me. "You forget, I saved you when your throat had gotten slit by your mother. Is that how you treat a dear friend that had saved your poor self all those years ago?" A genuine smile formed on his face when I put my hand in his.

"Let's make a deal, demon. Since you're not at full strength, I shall eliminate your enemies for you. In return, you let me live longer. No feuds will be started since no one will know that your faction did the damage. You know that I would never break in an interrogation and would also be able to charm my way in and out of any situation. Plus, I needn't get paid. An offer like this doesn't ever show up, especially in your current war situation."

A glint entered his eyes, obviously thinking that he had won, and I lost everything. He shook my hand with fervor. "I agree to your terms, Lily. I take it that you'll have fun in the coming years. You've never killed anyone, that I know. I'll teach you how and make you obedient to me, and only me."

The fool. He had given me free time. I have been killing off his enemies for years, not letting anyone know about what had been done. My mind was influenced by his emotions, whether I liked it or not.

I was his, completely and totally.

Inspired by the song Collect Call by Metric.