Vanilla

Mmhmm it's another book from the old profile. Idk what happened here again.

The smell of vanilla lingered in the garden maze. The sweet scent of a woman I had long forgotten, long left behind.

Some part of me wanted to see her again, to apologise for what I had done all those years ago, but the other side of me knew that there was no use.

Still, the familiar aroma of her skin entranced me and put all logic out the window. I followed it through the passages of thorny roses like a puppy tries to find its mother. Desperate.

The roses faded into orchids as I got closer to her. The one I had mocked all those years ago because of jealousy. She had captured the hearts of my court, proving me, their prince, far too inferior to the supple beauty and sharp intelligence of the maid's daughter. We were only twelve.

Years had passed, I ascended the throne, the memory of the girl, now a woman, still etched into my mind.

I had loved her. My jealousy had turned to admiration and affection over the grueling years of her absence. Married off to some lord, some say. Others thought she had died or been kidnapped.

None of it mattered to me.

She had returned.

I caught the sight of red hair and a white gown near the pond at the end of the maze. Her. My sweet Noelle.

Silently, I rushed forward. She still turned, even when I had made no noise. A small smile graced her delicate features, laced with melancholy and longing. "Ash," She called out to me.

I stopped in my path, overcome with tears for some reason beyond me. "I'm so sorry for being rude to you all those years ago. I was just jealous, not wanting to believe that you were better than me."

Her smile faltered. "I wish that you had not made amends so quick. We could have spent more time together." A flash of pain crossed her eyes, staying there as she stared at me. I sat there confused, and she noticed, the pain increasing tenfold.

"I'm dead, Ash. I was only sent her to make sure that no one was angry at me when I left this world forever. You were the last person, and I had wished to stay longer. I would have made sure you never apologised, not ever to me. But it seems that you had beat me to the point."

A lump had formed in my throat. I could barely force out anything except for a strangled, "How?"

She glanced at her wrist, mumbling just barely loud enough for me to hear. "3 years ago. Middle of the night by some jealous village girls. Slit my wrists and carved 'whore' into my back. Pitiful how vindictive people can get, huh?'"

A choked sob racked my body. This had been going on under my nose the whole time?! Cold-blooded murders by some pathetic peasants? My Noelle...

"I'm sorry. So, so sorry... I wish that I could go back in time and make it so you would never leave. Make it so that you would never leave me, the man who had loved you under all his pigheadedness."

A genuine grin grew on her face. "Just so you know, I forgive you." Her form started to fade away into small fireflies who lit up the gloomy night. "And I had loved you since I met you, you dope. I hope that you can see it now, and cherish it forever. You may not see me, but I'll always be by your side, cheering you on. So don't you miss me too much, Ash."

And with that, all that was left of her was the faint scent of vanilla.

Inspired by the smell of my vanilla candle. (New note: And man do I love commas.)