The Countdown

~Alexandria's P.O.V.~

It is April 16th which means I officially have one week until my 16th birthday. I can't wait til my birthday. My foster parents will finally buy me my one car instead of letting me borrow the family mini van.

I woke up today with a smile on my face. It's Saturday so I lazily walk to the bathroom to take a shower. I look in the mirror at myself. I have a slight tan so that I look mixed. I honestly wouldn't know even if I was.

I have raven black hair that is naturally curly and goes down til the middle of my back. I have curves but, I hide them under a hoodie. I have one green eye and one blue. People have told me that my eyes are the most beautiful things they have ever seen. I think they're weird and make me stand out. They aren't a normal blue or a normal green. They're so bright they look like they are glowing. The shades of blue and green change. I don't know why.

After looking at my reflection I decide to hop in the shower. I let the hot water cascade down my back. After washing my hair and throughly bathing I get out and wrap myself in a towel.

I wrap another towel around my hair so that it will dry quicker. I walk to my walk in closet, looking for something to wear.

I decide on some grey sweatpants and a black v-neck t-shirt. I grab some black ankle socks and put on my all white Jordan slippers.

I smell food so I follow it to the kitchen. I find John sitting in his usual chair at the head of the table, with the morning paper in his hands. Jane is cooking eggs, bacon, grits, biscuits, pancakes, with fresh fruit. I see Alexander, or Xander as I call him, sitting down playing with his race cars.

"Good morning mom and dad. Good morning Xander." I greet my family cheerfully.

"Good morning sweetheart." My parents say in unison.

"Good morning Xandria." Xander greets my using my nickname.

I walk over to him and kiss his forehead. I know they aren't my real family but, they've taken care of me since I was Xander's age, 4.

Jane was told at puberty that she couldn't have kids. Once her and John had been married for around 5 years they wanted kids together. Jane and John were upset that they couldn't have their own child but, they were open to adoption. I was traumatized but they saw something that they liked in me. They adopted me when I was 4. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

~Flashback~

I'm 4 years old with my parents, my real parents. We're in the living room and dad is yelling at mom again. I can't remember a time when they weren't fighting.

He hits her and sends her flying back into a wall. I run up to him and begin hitting him in his legs.

"Get off of my mommy." It must have fallen on deaf ears but, I continue to yell in vain.

When he stops he turns to me in anger. He takes off his big black leather belt and begins hitting me with it. I kick, scream, cry, and run.

I hide in my treasure chest in my room, like mommy told me to do when things got this bad. It had a fake bottom that was big enough for me to fit inside and still breathe. Daddy doesn't know about this so he won't find me.

"I never wanted any of this. This is all her fault. If you wouldn't have had that stupid kid our lives would be great. That kid is the reason we're like this. We never used to be like this when it was just the two of us. This is all her fault. She's the problem and I'm going to solve it." I hear him yelling at mommy.

"No you can't. She's only a child. This isn't her fault it's yours. Maybe if you weren't a drunk we wouldn't be living this way. You are the reason we're like this. You're the problem. Don't blame her for everything that's wrong in your life." Mommy yells weakly.