CHAPTER 4- WILL THEIR LIFE MEET AGAIN?

Umaira is startled when she felt a palm on her shoulder. She opened her eyes and turned her head. Ibrahim smiled back at her. She sat up straight. 'What happened?' he asked taking a chair and sitting next to her. Umaira tried to close the flap of the laptop when he held her hand. 'Now, my love has started to hide things from me?' he said eyeing her carefully. Umaira shook her head feeling slightly guilty. He looked at the screen and read the invitation. It's her college reunion on 15th December. As Ibrahim read, Umaira had her head lowered. Ibrahim finished reading and looked at her. He placed his palm on her shoulder, Umaira looked up. 

'I think you should go.' Ibrahim said softly, looking directly into her eyes. Umaira shook her head. Ibrahim held her palms in his, he looked at her lovingly, 'It's been so long, you haven't met your parents. You will get to meet your old friends also.' He explained calmly. Umaira looked away for few seconds and then looked at him again. 'But, Ibrahim...He...He...will be there too...'she said, her lower-lip trembled and tears brimmed in her eyes.

When Ibrahim had proposed Umaira, she was elated but also hesitant because of her past. She confessed everything to him. Surprisingly, Ibrahim heard her out and accepted her with her past. Ibrahim never saw Mehran and after Umaira spoke about him that day, they never spoke about him again. 

Ibrahim smiled and kissed the back of her palm, 'So? One shouldn't stop living just because someone they dislike has come in their lives. You are strong. I am sure you can handle it.' He assured her. Umaira nodded. He stood and extended his hand, she took his hand and stood up. He closed the flap of her laptop as she walked into the bedroom. The rest of the night, Umaira couldn't sleep. She kept thinking about what Ibrahim had said. He had a very valid point. Just because Mehran will be there, she can't stop herself from enjoying with her family and friends. It's been nearly four years she hasn't met her friends and family. She has spoken to her family only through video-call and now when she is getting a chance to meet them in person, it will be foolish to let it go. She back hugged Ibrahim, holding him tightly. A part of her wanted to ask him to come with her, but she didn't. If she has to face her past. She wants to face it alone. It is only by dawn, she slept. 

*******************

Next day, Mehran came to office in his usual time, 8.00am. This early hardly any employee has come. Mehran is punctual and a workaholic. He is a strict boss and takes no non-sense from anyone. He walked into the elevator and pressed the button to 8th floor. He walked towards his CEO cabin. He entered his cabin and quickly got to work. The rating of his media house has increased, it is on second position. His father had started this media house back in the 90's, then it was considered different and very risky. But his father, Jafar, had faith in himself and his media house. Eventually, his media house got successful. It was only after Mehran joined the company that its ranking reached top 10 and now it's in 2nd position. Mehran smiled, his hard-work is paying off. There is a knock at the door. 'Come in' Mehran said. The door opened and Shadab entered.

Mehran looked at his friend and smiled. He looked irritated. Shadab was no early bird and he hated waking up early. Even in hostel, that they shared back in college, Shadab used to get irritated when Mehran used to switch on the lights as early as 5 am. Mehran leaned forward and called the landline ordering two hot black coffee. 'So?' Mehran said leaning in his chair, he smiled at his friend. Shadab is not only Mehran's friend but also his employee. He now works as head of marketing department for him. Shadab usually comes late, and so it's surprising he has come early. Mehran knows there is something he wants to tell.

'We have our college reunion on 15th.' Shadab said. Mehran stiffened, his expression changed. Shadab observed him and noted the change. 'What happened, man?' he asked sounding concern. Mehran shook his head and turned his chair, his back now towards his friend. Shadab understood his gesture. Mehran rested his head against the chair and sighed 

'I am not going.' He said closing his eyes, a lone tear escaped from his left eye. Shadab didn't speak for few seconds, but then stood up 'I think you should go, man. It is time to face the past.' He said and turned around leaving the cabin. Mehran opened his eyes and stared up at the ceiling. Face the past? Mehran doesn't have it in him to face the past. He doesn't have in him to meet her again, to face her. He has moved on from the past, moved on from the guilt. He doesn't want to revisit the painful memory once again.

*******************

Mehran had just finished lunch, and returned to his cabin. He is surprised to find someone sitting on a chair. Mehran sniffed a strong ladies perfume filling the room and smiled widely guessing who the visitor is.

'Siham' he said. She twisted the chair turning around and looked at him. 'Mehran.' She gushed happily and stood up. He walked towards her and she hugged him tightly. 'Guess what?' she said happily. Mehran raised his eyebrows and nodded 'I am going to Milan....' Siham announced happily. 

Mehran felt genuinely happy for her as she narrated cheerfully about her selection in top 10 models for Milan Fashion week. 'You will come with me, na?' she said. Mehran pretended to think for a while, Siham slapped his arm. 'You better not have any important meeting or anything next month for one whole week. And you are coming.' She said sternly. Mehran smiled and nodded. 'Anything for my honey.' He said placing his arm around her waist. She smiled and hugged him, he hugged her back.

Sometimes, Life brings a person back to the past, or someone special back into their lives- at times to rectify the mistakes done in the past and at times to bounce back together. Mehran and Umaira's life was going to meet again, but with a twist