CHAPTER 32- HELPING A "FRIEND"

Thanks to the patient beauticians Umaira managed to wear a saree – bottle green chiffon saree with golden beads and golden puffed half sleeved blouse. The beauticians also did her make-up and her hair- fish tail braid resting on one side of her shoulder. She wore gold triple layered traditional chand bali and a delicate gold waist band.

'Hey! You aren't supposed to look more pretty than the bride.' Huma expressed her displeasure and Umaira laughed. Umaira left Huma with the other girls and her mother while she went out to the venue.

Guests had arrived and waiters were serving the starters. She held her saree and walked around checking if everything is proper. Wearing heels and saree bad combination, she realized as she kept twisting her ankles as she walked. Finally, she relaxed against the pillar. She opened her eyes when she heard laughter, a familiar one among others. She hid behind the pillar and saw Mehran coming with the groom, his sister, and a man, she didn't know. Mehran is dressed in green kurtha and white pajamas, his hair perfectly combed and gelled.

As they walked away laughing Mehran got a whiff of a tantalizing and familiar female perfume and he stopped in his tracks.

'Guys I forgot something, you guys go ahead I am coming.' Mehran made an excuse. They nodded and walked away. Once they were gone Mehran turned around and found Umaira sneaking away. He is about to call her but she stopped. Umaira's eyes widened realizing her saree has come loose, she froze fearing it may fall if she let's go or moved.

Mehran frowned noticing Umaira is standing still. He walked towards her looking concerned, he wondered if she is in trouble.

'Hey!'

'Meh-Mehran...my saree...'she said frightened. Mehran looked at her, she looked pale like a ghost. He looked at her hand that clenched her saree pleats tightly.

'Acha listen, don't panic.' Mehran assured her and held her arm. He tugged her arm but she didn't move. She looked like she will cry, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. Umaira felt vulnerable, frightened, and embarrassed.

'Relax! just hold on it tightly.' Mehran said. Hesitantly, she walked. Just two steps later, she clenched his forearm tightly freezing on spot. Mehran looked at her patiently. She shook her head refusing to move.

'I will have to carry you, if you don't move.' Mehran warned her. Umaira looked at him in disbelief.

'No, you can't.' she said

'Really?' Mehran smirked bending little.

'No, No, No. I am moving, I am moving.' She nearly yelled sticking out her free hand to stop him. 'Good girl!' Umaira glared at him. Mehran took her to a secluded corner, Umaira felt awkward. 'Just give me five minutes, I will fix this.' Mehran said and Umaira scoffed.

'What? You think I can't make you wear a saree.' Mehran said.

'Of course, you can't.' Umaira challenged him confidently.

'Wait and watch.' Mehran said equally confidently.

'Here see...we have to unwrap this completely.' Mehran said checking the saree and Umaira's eyes widened.

'Are you mad?' she said shocked

'Yes, which idiot made you wear this. Or I guess you wore it yourself.' Mehran mocked her. Umaira blinked at him angrily, her lips pressed tightly. Mehran placed his hand on the pleats of the saree when Umaira held his hand

'Have you lost it? I am not unwrapping my saree here and plus you know nothing...idiot,

simply wasted my time.' she said turning her head away from him.

'Okay, then stand here in this corner. I am leaving.' He said. Umaira's jaw dropped open. He smiled and turned around. He won't go, Umaira thought but she was proven wrong as he began walking.
'Hey, you can't leave like this.' She called him, thankfully he wasn't out of ear shot. Mehran purposefully was walking slowly as he knew she will call him for help. He quickly wiped off his smile and turned to her.

'What will I do? I toh, don't know anything. And I am an idoit.' Mehran shrugged. Umaira bit her lower-lip. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath swallowing in her ego.

'You called me your friend na, won't you help your friend?' Umaira pouted.

Umaira somehow managed to walk into the elevator hiding behind Mehran and tightly clenching her saree, out of nervousness, also high heels she stumbled but Mehran was there to hold her. After the elevator opened to the lobby of Mehran's suite did she relax. But her heart began thumping faster as he twisted the door knob open. He entered casually. Umaira took a second to enter, she felt awkward. Her heart beating even faster as Mehran locked the door from inside. Being alone in a closed room with Mehran is making Umaira feel anxious but in a nice way.

'Come.' Mehran said. Umaira turned to him.

'We will just unwrap the bottom part.' She said nervously.

'Obviously.' Mehran rolled his eyes. Umaira relaxed. He extended his hand but Umaira stopped him.

'I will do it, you just say what to do.' She interrupted.

'We saw what you did. I have a function to attend and I don't want to baby sit you.' He said shaking his head. Umaira thought for few seconds before giving a nod. She pulled out the pleats from the petticoat and noticed that saree was loose from the start itself. The beautician isn't at fault but she is, Umaira was in such a hurry to leave that the beautician got nervous.

Mehran took the edge and tugged into her petticoat, Umaira felt Goosebumps as his fingers brushed her bare waist. Mehran was too involved in draping her saree that he didn't notice. Umaira distracted herself by watching him make pleats. She is amused as he makes perfect pleats.

'Tug this in, properly.' He said and handed her the pleats. Umaira nodded and tugged it in.

'Little more.' Mehran said adjusting the saree from down. Umaira did as he said. He adjusted the saree and went towards the dressing table. Umaira watched him. He got a safety pin and properly secured her saree. He then looked at her.

'We have to...'he pointed at the top part.

'You said...'she protested. Mehran shrugged. Umaira sighed. She unpinned her Pallu. Mehran took the edge and made it fall to the floor. Umaira inwardly gasped as her golden shimmering blouse get exposed. Mehran who had been busy with her saree got distracted and looked at her, his gaze fell on her blouse and Umaira felt embarrassed.

'So-Sorry...'Mehran quickly recovered. Umaira flushed looking away. Mehran didn't want to look away, he wanted to keep admiring her. A glimpse of her white perfectly shaped waist, bare stomach with a glistening thin delicate gold waist chain and her deep necked designer blouse was enough to make his heart beat faster. Mehran had to remind himself that he can't stare even if he wanted to, she isn't his anymore.

He ignored this heart's desires and wrapped her saree around her. He placed her Pallu neatly and pinned it. He took a step back and looked at it, a satisfied smile on his face. 'Done! you can look.' He said brightly.