CHAPTER 17- THEIR PAST RELATIONSHIP DEAD?

Mehran looked up at a small window on the fourth floor, he gulped looking at the long piping that led towards the window. Once again Umaira had seen him with Meera, his classmate, she got miffed thinking something else. Meera had tripped and he had held her only to stop her from falling. As usual Umaira didn't let Mehran explain his side, she always does that. Being impulsive she quickly gets judgmental and worse, she doesn't let the other person explain. Now, she is super mad at him and knowing Umaira well, Mehran knew very well where he can find her- locked up in a cubicle of the ladies washroom.

Taking a deep breath, he silently prayed and with trembling hands he clenched the pipe. He squeezed his eyes tight and began climbing the pipe.

He huffed and sighed in relieve as he leaped into washroom. He walked through the cubicles pressing his ears in each of the door trying to hear any sign of her. He stopped on hearing her muffled sound from inside one cubicle. He knocked the door, softly and whispered 'Umaira.' Minutes later, the door opened and Umaira stood in front of him. Her eyes puffy, nose swollen and cheeks red, tear strained her cheeks and more tears brimmed in her eyes.

'Aww...look at you, what have you done to yourself.' He said extending his arm, he held her shoulder and pulled her for a hug. Umaira placed her palm on his chest and pushed him, angrily glaring at him. Mehran gulped.

'I... don't.... want.... to... see.... your face.' she stammered sniffing. Mehran admired her, she is looking so cute. She wiped her nose with back of her palm, her head lowered. Mehran smiled and held her waist. Umaira gasped but before she could react Mehran kissed her on her lips, he kissed her hard. Umaira didn't respond for few seconds, but sensing Mehran's stubbornness she gave up and reciprocated to the kiss.

*****************************

Umaira stayed still, she wondered if she actually heard his voice calling her or is she hallucinating. And if she is hallucinating, then why is she thinking of him? She heard another soft knock and her heart skipped a beat once again.

'Umaira!' she stiffened hearing his voice once again. It's been five years since last, she felt her name sound so good, so melodious. Then she realized that it is first time after five years he has called her name. She slowly picked herself up and turned around. Her hand trembled as she twisted the door knob. She lowered her head and opened the door. For some reason, she didn't mind looking vulnerable and dishevelled in front of Mehran. This is Mehran, she needn't hide anything from him.

Mehran's heart sank looking at her puffy eyes, red running nose and tear strained tears.

'Are you alright? why are you crying?' Mehran asked softly. He couldn't stop himself. When he saw, she had left, he knew she will be found here, crying her eyes out. And he knows, she won't answer him, in fact he had expected her to not even open the door.

Umaira doesn't reply, she herself doesn't know why she is crying. Slowly, she looked up into his eyes. Both, felt a spark ignite inside them, a spark oddly familiar.

'This...is.... ladies...washroom.' she said not breaking the eye-contact. Mehran doesn't reply, he kept looking at her. Umaira too doesn't look away. They kept staring into each other's eyes.

'Ahh...' a woman gasped and two looked away and at the door. A young model stood at the door wide-eyed. After recovering from initial shock of seeing a man here, she smirked walking towards the wash basins.

'Sorry. I guess I disturbed you guys (she eyed Mehran briefly before looking at Umaira), I didn't see anything. Carry on guys.' She turned around smirking opening the tap.

'Sorry...I came into the wrong washroom.' Mehran muttered more to himself, but Umaira kept glaring at him. He avoided her gaze as he turned around and walked away. Umaira kept staring at his retreating figure.