CHAPTER 34- MEHENDI FUNCTION

Mehran simply stood with a poker face with his hands folded front. He watched the Mehendi ceremony of his friend. Shadab sat squatted on the floor with his palms sticking out and two leaves resting on his palm. Many ladies are busy having Mehendi applied while the men stood chatting. Women one by one keep coming and teasing Shadab along with putting a blob of Mehendi on the leaves. Some threatened to apply it elsewhere, but when Shadab squealed they let go giggling. Mehran could only roll his eyes.

'Mehendi is such a ladies function, why have they got us here.' Junaid whispered to Mehran. Mehran nodded in agreement and looked at his sister Amreen who is arguing with the Mehendi wali for applying the design incorrectly.

'I said I want the exact same design as this.' She pointed at a celebrity's photo in her mobile. The Mehendi wali argued that it is photoshopped and so their banter continued. Mehran and Junaid looked at each other with a bored expression on their faces and shook their head.

Huma had Shadab's name cleverly hidden, alphabets of his name scattered everywhere in her Mehendi.

'He will have tough time finding his name.' she grinned evilly and Umaira smiled.

'Ma'am what name would to want to write?' the Mehendi wali asked softly to Umaira. Umaira refused but Huma nudged her arm glaring at her.

'Write, Ibrahim.' Huma said to the Mehendi wali who nodded and looked at Umaira.

'Spelling please?' she asked softly.

Umaira nodded, 'I-B-R-A-H-R-AN...' her mind trailing off to Mehran as she thought about him, and that day which was to be her wedding day.

'Umaira! I thought your fiancé's name was Ibrahim and not Ibrahran...or whatever that is.' Huma frowned looking at the Mehendi. Umaira gasped looking at a small cursive Ibrahran written in the corner of her Mehendi.

Mehran had enough of standing and looking like a fool. Throughout the time, he spent standing he kept thinking of Umaira and her sad eyes. He decided to find her and talk to her. He looked around bumping into random people, but one person he bumped into made him feel nervous- Umaira's dad.

He looked at Mehran, he seemed to be deep thought looking at him. Before, he could recollect Mehran, he smiled and tried to walk away when Umaira's dad spoke, 'I have seen you somewhere.'

Mehran turned to him, 'I don't recollect meeting you sir, perhaps it was someone else you met.' Mehran said and rushed away. As he walked away, Umaira's dad realized this man is Mehran- the one who broke his daughter's heart. A scowl formed on his face.

Finally, Mehran bumped into Umaira who was rushing towards the caterers.

'Ouch!'

'Sor-Umaira!' Mehran is relieved. Umaira looked at him, then his words echoed in her ears and she turned to her side to walk away but before she could escape

Mehran held her hand. 'Hey! All right?' he asked concerned. Umaira nodded but didn't say anything. Mehran looked at her concerned, he tried reading her expression but couldn't decipher anything.

'Wow! Your Mehendi looks goo...'

'I need to go.' Umaira cut him in between and walked away. Mehran felt guilty- he shouldn't have spoken to her about Siham.

Umaira stood by the caterers and wondered what is happening to her? Why does Siham hurt her? why the thought of Mehran being with her or even seeing him with Siham makes her feel upset, insecure? She reminded herself that she is happy with Ibrahim and turned her attention to the carters.

Umaira found it difficult to hold her plate, first the Mehendi clad hands and second the God damn Saree- she made it a point to never wear a saree again.

'Here let me help you.' Umaira heard Mehran's voice, she turned her head and found him standing just inches to her side. He placed his palm under her plate and helped her keep it steady.

'I am fine, I will manage. You have your food.' She said

'I had mine.' Mehran lied with a smile. Umaira looked at him suspiciously before giving a nod, he said he had his food then he must have had his food. Mehran helped her carry her plate, also pulled a chair for her. Umaira sat, he sat opposite her.

'Shall I help you eat?' he asked concerned. Umaira looked at him with an amused smile, 'Help me digest my food as well.' she teased and giggled. Mehran relax and laughed with her.

Amreen passed by their table, she stopped seeing them laugh together. She smiled, it's been ages since she has seen her brother laugh this way, whole-heartily.

Umaira noticed Mehran eyeing the food hungrily, 'You lied, didn't you?' she said. Mehran is taken aback, 'Huh!' Umaira simply smiled and forward a spoonful of Biryani towards his mouth, 'Have it.' she said softly. Mehran smiled gratefully and took a bite, he felt the food tastier than it would have actually been as the same spoon had been touched by Umaira. He watched as Umaira ate with the same spoon and he smiled.

'I am not having that, give me a separate spoon.' Umaira said eyeing the ice cream spoon Mehran held. He frowned.

'Why?'

'Because you ate from it.'

'So?'

'Your salvia is all over it. Yuck!' she made a face. Mehran frowned looking at the spoon.

'So, is it poison?' he said annoyed

'No, but it is yuck...we will practically be sharing saliva.' She said pretending like she will puke. Mehran rolled his eyes, he dropped the spoon and leaned forward. Umaira didn't get the time to react when he grabbed her nape and kissed her hard on the lips. Her eyes widened as he parted her lips with his tongue entering her mouth. As he kissed her, Umaira forgot why she was arguing and began reciprocating to the kiss. Mehran does a mental victory dance. They continue to kiss fiercely for a while before breaking the kiss.

'Suddenly so much love, why?' Umaira blushed.

'Kiss? We were practically sharing salvias.' Mehran smirked and Umaira's mouth dropped open. He laughed leaning against his chair ignoring her glare. She didn't say a word, she simply picked up the spoon and fed herself a morsel of ice-cream. She watched Mehran laugh and a small smile appeared on her face. How silly was she? She too joined in the laughter.

'Mehran!' Umaira called him bringing him back to the present. For a second, he was puzzled but then composed himself as the music and the chattering hit his ear drums bringing him back.

'Go have your food, else it will be over.' He looked up, Umaira had finished her dinner and is standing with her dirty plate. He nodded and stood up. She smiled at him and walked away, Mehran watched her go feeling a void in his heart.