CHAPTER 25- THE ENGAGEMENT

Engagement night, 

'Bhaiya, get up from your lazy bum.' Amreen fumed. It's been fifteen minutes since she is trying to find a perfect attire for her elder brother, who seemed least bit interested. 'It's our best friend's engagement and you are still in your boxers.' Mehran sat leisurely in his bed wearing his checked Bermuda shorts and yellow Tee, a bored expression on his face.

He turned his gaze from the TV and towards his little sister. Amreen is dressed in blue blouse, pink and golden saree, her hair open and resting on one side. She has done her make-up and seemed ready to go. It is then Mehran realized he had not even started getting dressed.

'Only Siham can handle you.' Amreen further nagged as Mehran leaped from the bed.

After taking a quick bath, Mehran dressed into black kurtha and grey closed neck waist coat. He combed and gelled his hair leaving some strands across his forehead, he applied his cologne and wore his wrist watch. He slipped into grey Jhutis and he was done. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and smiled.

Amreen whistled and a clicked a picture of her brother. 'Siham will come running.' She joked. Mehran laughed with his younger sister. Then he clicked a couple's photo of his sister and Junaid, who looked stunning in cream and golden shervani.

***************************

The engagement function was being in the backyard of Huma's ancestral bungalow. The engagement is to start around 7pm but Umaira and her parents arrived around 5 itself. Umaira felt emotional meeting her maternal aunt and uncle. Umaira's Nani also stayed with them. Over the years, Umaira had gotten disconnected with her Nani as well.

Her Nani was wheeled into the hall by Huma and her mother. Umaira hugged her Nani, she couldn't stop her tears nor that she wanted to. Umaira also made tea for everyone, they all sipped it happily, complimenting her.

'Ibrahim is very lucky man. Your hand has magic in your hands.' Umaira's Mamu complimented. Umaira felt awkward as everyone else laughed.

'I want to meet this young man.' Nani interrupted. Umaira happily showed her Ibrahim's photo. Nani saw the photo closely, 'Good young man but you can get better.' Umaira simply smiled politely on Nani's comment.

After tea and snacks, Huma was taken into the room. Umaira and two beauticians were to dress her up and do her make-up. Huma picked a beautiful off white and maroon lehenga, with deep cut back and full sleeved blouse. It had many embroidery and beads. Beauticians did her make-up and hair while Umaira went into the attached bathroom to dress up. For the evening Umaira wore a peach and white lacy neck, full sleeve backless evening gown. She wore glittering silver stilettos. She tied her hair in a braided side bun (she had learnt it in Milan from one British model), she then wore silver studs and applied her make-up – face powder, blush, kohl, and red glossy lipstick. She applied her perfume, wore her delicate girl's watch in one hand and few silver bangles in the other. She clicked a selfie and texted it to Ibrahim. She gets an instant response.

Ibrahim: Wow! Gorgeous.

She blushed.

Huma is almost done, her make-up wasn't too loud nor little, just perfect. Her long hair tied in a French twist and her heavy dupatta pinned on both shoulder and perfectly resting on her hair. 'Someone is looking killer tonight.' Umaira winked and nudged Huma who blushed. Umaira did some touch up when she noticed Huma looking lost. At first, she wondered if Huma is nervous but then decided to ask anyway.

Huma sighed 'I am wondering about that gorgeous young man we met on the road.' Umaira froze adjusting her earring. Huma looked at Umaira from corner of her eyes. 'Do you...you know him?' Huma asked, her eyebrows raised.