CHAPTER 12- LIFE HAS TO MOVE ON

Umaira woke up hearing a knock at her door. She sat up on the bed rubbing her eyes.

'Wake up, beta. Breakfast is ready.' She heard her mother say from the other side.

'Coming Ma. Ten minutes.' she called and heard her mother's footsteps walking away. She stretched her body little and inhaled exhaled loudly before picking up her phone from the bedside table.

There is a message Ibrahim: Sorry sweetheart was busy with office work. I have to impress my new clients. It's a big deal. I am sorry for not answering your calls. Everything is okay? How was the reunion?

Umaira smiled sadly, she then typed: The reunion was good, met my old friend Jasmine. It was fun. All the best with your client...I miss you and I love you.

She then placed her mobile and climbed down the bed. She walked towards her wardrobe and took out her dress for the day- blue kaftan top and white palazzo. As she walked towards the bathroom, she heard her phone beeped. She smiled, it's a message from Ibrahim

Ibrahim: Thanks love. I miss you too, and I love you too. (Kiss emoji)

She shook her head smiling, Ibrahim had always hated using Emoji especially the kiss one, he must be really missing her to use her favourite emoji- the kiss emoji.

**********************

Mehran entered his home and is relieved to be informed that Amreen has left with Junaid to her own home. The honeymoon couple are still in that zone. Mehran's mother came to him, she greeted him but he ignored her and walked upstairs to his room.

He flung his coat on his bed and walked towards his wardrobe. His head ached after last night, the drink and everything that happened taking the toll on him. He took out his towel and walked into his bathroom. After a refreshing bath, he wore his bathrobe and stepped out from the bathroom. When he came out he found his mother standing near his dressing table. He rolled his eyes.

'What are you doing here, mother?' he said frowning. His mother looked at him.

'Where were you last night, beta?' she asked softly. Mehran looked away annoyed and walked towards his wardrobe.

'How does it matter to you?' he said taking out his electric blue formal shirt and black trouser. 'Beta, I am your mother. I care for you.' She said, her tone pleading. Mehran slammed the door to his wardrobe, his mother flinched.

'Please, Mother don't give me that cra-excuse.' He said angrily.

Even in the anger he managed to control his tongue. No matter, whatever happened, she is his mother he is talking to.

'Beta, for how long will you punish us.' She said, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. Mehran looked away. He always does this, he knew he will melt if he looks at his mother's pleading face. Every time, he thinks of forgiving his parents then Umaira's face swims in front of him reminding him how he lost her because of his parents and their stubbornness, and then he backs out. He doesn't reply to his mother instead he stormed into the bathroom.

**************************

Umaira sat on the sofa with her parents. Her father is sitting in the single sofa reading newspaper and her mother in the double sofa beside her cutting vegetable and watching a dance reality show. Umaira sat there with her legs folded up and tugged under her. She looked sadly at the solitaire ring shining in her ring finger. Her mother turned her head to say something when she noticed her daughter's sad face. Her gaze fell on her ring and she smiled sadly.