Chapter 5 ● Lifestyles of the Rich and the Infamous

"Spears, now!" Topher yelled at me through the phone.

The call ended and I blinked repeatedly as I remembered the dinner we had with our mom.

I grabbed a taxi as fast as possible and headed towards the restaurant immediately. 

I arrived and immediately told the hostess I was late for a dinner with Ms. Harris. She took me over to the table to find my mom staring coldly at me as I arrived, as well as my brother.

"Hi mom!" I said as I walked over to hug her, with no hug back.

"Who died?" I asked as I sat next to Topher.

"You're about to," Topher spoke.

"What did I do now?"

"You haven't paid your rent in two months?" My mother, Lianne, inquired.

I hit Topher as hard as I could.

"Stop that now! I will not have my children behaving like this in public!" She whispered angrily.

"Sorry, mom," my brother and I said simultaneously.

"Honey, you're having money trouble again?" She started over.

"Unfortunately," I grunted.

"Why didn't you say anything, you know I can pay off that dull studio of yours in an instant. I don't know why you insist on living in a place like that, we have money-"

"No, you two have money, I don't," I corrected her.

"We have money, as in we can give you whenever," Topher joined in.

"That's the thing! I don't want to be a charity case!" I began to exclaim.

"You should've thought of that before becoming a 'photographer.'"

"What exactly are you mother?" I asked.

She stayed quiet.

"Look, I'm sorry you two but I am trying to make ends meet and not get saved from this whole mess I've carved all on my own," I spoke.

"If you want it that way-"

"I do mom. I love you both but please let me work this out. Unless I'm about to get evicted, I'm not about to ask for money from either one of you. I'd appreciate it if we just changed topics now."

They both stared then nodded after a bit and we began to talk about Topher's job and my mother's trip to Costa Rica. 

I love them both but I feel bad when they start talking about their lavish lifestyles that's all a result of the hard work my dad put in. Now that he's gone, it feels to me like we've stolen something from him.