Chapter 12 ● Confessional

"Done," Alex says as he jumps on the couch then begins to kiss me.

I push him off immediately.

I was waiting till he was done with organizing whatever it was he had said. I needed to know the truth.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"I went by your office today," I simply state.

"You what?" He instantly fumed.

"I went by your office today," I repeated.

"Why? I told you I was busy. I was probably out for lunch by the time you came around," he lied to my face.

"I went to the building, the one you told me. But I guess cause it's such a big building, no one seemed to recognize you-"

"Yeah, plus I don't go by Alex... I go by Shere Khan," he began to smirk.

I roll my eyes and get up from under him.

"What? You've never seen the Jungle Book?" he begins to laugh.

"Alex, the guy at the front desk said you've never worked in that building ever," I say crossing my arms.

"Clearly the guy at the front desk is wrong. How's he supposed to know? Obviously just started working there-"

"That doesn't make him incompetent enough to not be able to search a name-"

"I didn't mean it like that, just he probably doesn't know me, that's it."

"It's his job to know you, Alex! Do you even have a job? Tell me right now. Quit lying to me!" I exclaim.

"Just because I don't work there doesn't mean I don't-"

"Oh God, what does that even mean? Why'd you tell me you worked there? I went in there looking like an idiot asking around for you, and you told Topher the same thing! I mean why-"

"Violet, stop talking," he tries to silence me.

"Stop lying!" I raise my voice even more.

"What does it matter anyway that I don't work on Wall Street? Or in that specific building? Does it change your mind about me? Is it gonna make you love me any less? Do you not want to keep seeing me because I'm not some fancy business man-"

"The fact that you lied to me, for what seems to be no reason right now, is what bothers me, Alex! What are you hiding from me?"

"It shouldn't matter where I work, or whether I work at all Violet!" He yells.

"It shouldn't but since you've been lying to me, I have the right to know!"

The yelling got louder and louder.

"Don't worry about it!" Alex kept saying.

"Just fucking tell me where you work, Alex!"

"Violet, please!"

"Why don't you want to tell me where you work? You're scaring me."

"I'm lying to you to not scare you for real," he admitted.