Chapter 7 ● Fuse Box

I switch on the television and begin looking through the channel guide. While scrolling I hear a knock at my door.

"Who is it?" I yell.

"Alex."

I stay quiet. I continue flipping through the channels, hoping he'll leave.

"I've got food," he says.

I contemplate whether I should get up or not and let him in because I'm starving, or to let him stand out there until he grows bored of waiting. 

I get up shortly after and swing the door open.

"Thanks! Bye!" I say after grabbing the bags and shutting the door.

No surprise when I see his foot between the door.

"You're not getting rid of me that quick again," he speaks.

"Oh, but I can try," I tell him.

"Can I come in?" he asks as he stands in the doorway.

"I'd really prefer it if you didn't."

He steps in after I speak those words and goes straight to my so-called living room.

"Nice place you got here," he lies.

"Please, once more with feeling," I respond.

"Come here, gimme the bags," he gestures.

I hand him the bags and he places them on the coffee table. I stand by the door just observing him as he makes himself at home quickly. He walks from the living room to my kitchen grabs six bottles of beer from the fridge, goes back to the living room, takes two couch pillows and places them on the floor.

"What do you think you're doing?" I ask.

He sits down on one of the pillows then grabs the remote.

"Sit," he points at the pillow.

I do as instructed and I sit down next to him and open a bottle of beer.

"I brought you one of everything from the menu," he says. "I didn't know what you liked, so..."

"Thanks," I say blandly.

"How can I make you not hate me?" he asks genuinely and looks me in the eyes.

"I don't hate you," I shake my head.

"You act like you do," he shakes his head.

"You're not very nice," I state.

"How many times do I have to apologize to you for the numerous amount of horrible things I've said and done to you?"

"As many times as there are seconds in a day," I look up at him.

A laugh. He has a nice laugh.

○○○

After bringing his attention back to the television, he finally decides on a channel and within minutes we find ourselves deep in a movie.

"Why doesn't she just tell someone?" he starts.

"She can't. He'll send out a call immediately that will kill her dad," I explain.

"That's such bullshit."

"Change the channel then," I tell him.

"No, I wanna see how it ends," he says, making me smile.

Darkness. Everything went quiet and everything turned off. No lights. Electricity bill.

"Fucking hell," I say.

"What was that?" He asks.

Just as I get up, I feel his hand on mine. He was searching for it in the dark.

"Where's your fuse box or whatever you call it?" He asks while I walk away.

"I got it," I say.

I look for my phone and make my way to the fuse box. I pretend to flip the switch.

"Must be a black out," I lie.

"You got any candles?" he inquires.

"Yep, in the kitchen."

I make my way over there and I see him follow with his own phone.

"Which phone is that?" I joke.

"Huh?"

"You have, or had I don't know, two phones-"

"Oh yeah, one's for business," he explains.

"Financial advisors need two phones?" I ask.

"You got any matches?" he ignored me.

Right after, I lit the three candles and we placed them by the food.

"Guess you'll never know how it ends," I spoke.

"Never say never," he responds as we sit down on the couch pillows again.

"It's gonna be a quiet evening, sorry," I apologize.

"You sure that switch didn't work?"

"Positive."

"Don't lie to me," he says sternly.

"I wasn't," I tell him.

"You didn't pay your bill on time, did you?" He inquires.

"That's none of your-"

"Violet. Don't lie to me."

"I won't if you won't," I cross my arms and leave his hand that was just on top of mine on the table.

"Do you need help? Like financial help, cause I can-"

"No. That's not what I need, and I really don't need it from a complete stranger," I bite.

"Ask me something private about myself," Alex says.

"Why?" I relax a bit.

"I don't want you thinking I'm a complete stranger."

"Fine," I say before taking a sip of my beer.

○○○

Three drinks each later and an astounding game of 20 questions later, I now know about Alex's childhood, his mother, his highly embarrassing incident in high school with his teacher and his favorite music. He in return knows about my childhood, mother, slightly embarrassing incident at my 13th birthday party and my favorite movies. I guess he's not a total stranger now. He's actually a pretty cool guy. A good guy.

"One time," I say laughing. "When I was little, like around six or so, my mom was getting a massage and she was of course moaning, but it sounded completely sexual."

We both begin to laugh.

"I had just learned what sex was and I tell her, 'you sound like you're having sex, mom,' and she stops and turns around-" I begin laughing a bit too hard before I can even finish my sentence.

I open my eyes to find Alex chuckling.

"I found a box of sex toys in my parent's closet when I was like eight," he offers.

"Oh no!" I laugh.

"Yes, no it was horrible," he assures me.

"God no," I tell him once I finish laughing.

We're inches away from each other and just as I guessed he would, he leans in and kisses me. I pull away immediately and smack him.

"Ow! What was that for?" He asks and I begin to laugh.

"We just became friends! Don't ruin this."

"Oh, so friends just smack each other?" He asks.

"I had to," I reply.

"I thought you wanted to-"

"You thought wrong, Alex."

"Fine, sorry," he obliges.

"Apology accepted," I smile at him.

"Wow, really? That was quick," he smirks and I swat his arm.