Chapter 25 ● Useless

I feel like I'm drowning in loneliness.

It's been seven months since my mother was killed. Five since the last time I saw Alex.

While sat across from Nick, who I texted in a moment of extreme desperation and weakness, I found myself hoping he wouldn't notice how I wasn't listening to him during the coffee he asked me out to.

"Did you know that patient's who have just had surgery recover faster when their rooms have a view of trees?" He asks me and I don't comment. "Violet?"

"Yeah?" I question back.

"You zoned out," he states before taking a sip of coffee.

I look down when my hand begins to ache, I've been stirring the coffee non-stop.

"Sorry," I lie. "I gotta get going. I have to go visit my brother actually."

"I'll take you."

I only oblige because I don't want to be alone while I constantly feel like I'm being followed. I've practically moved in with Naomi but I feel horrible because if they ever come back she might die with me.

There's been nothing overly suspicious since my mother, though. I wonder if they found out they in fact didn't kill me, or if Alex managed to hide it. I wonder how Alex is.

I make it to Topher's as soon as the girl who has moved in to the loft across his leaves, I smile and wave. Topher opens the door and is dressed for a meeting. Just my luck.

"That girl that lives across from here has nothing but eyes for you," I smirk.

"So I've seen," he chuckles.

"Meeting?" I inquire.

"Meeting yes. With her."

"What?" I ask.

"We've sort of been dating-"

"I finally get a sister! Christ, took you long enough."

"Alright calm down-"

"I can see it in your eyes, they glow when I mention her, what's her name?"

"Emily, and I really like her but I'm reconsidering making her an addition of this family," he says as I fix his tie.

"It's just me, I don't bite," I say. He sighs and plants a kiss on my forehead.

"You're staying?" he asks.

"If that's okay with you, I'll be out of here before your date ends though, so you can have the place to yourself," I chuckle.

"How do I look?" he asks after nodding.

"Extra dapper," I reply. "Now, go," I urge him. "Take an umbrella!" I yell as he exits but puts his left arm back in to take an umbrella from the stand then shuts the door. 

It's April and it feels like it's been raining for a month straight.

Nothing pains me more than spending my days alone. I was the one who told Alex to stay away from me and I meant it for the longest time, but now I miss him. 

I miss having someone to talk to, that wouldn't judge me. I've been on and off again about calling him.

Before I know it my phone is dialing his number.

I still haven't put the phone to my ear when I hear him answer in his accent.

"Alex," I speak.