Choosing Your Magickal Name

Some people, when they choose to enter the practice of magick, like to choose whats called a magickal name.
If you've even been in the practice a week, you've probably heard people mention a magickal name or at least heard the term.

Choosing a magickal name is done to psychologically shed the ties to the old self and add a part of your new self, such as your own skills and concepts. These skills and concepts are usually those that you desire to obtain, it isn't necessary to already have them.
Some solitary witches never change their magickal name, and this is just fine :)
Honestly, its really just up to the person.

There's actually a few key factors that go into choosing a magickal name.
For me, I wanted something that portrayed who I was as a person, yet also a gift I wanted to greatly increase in myself.

My magickal name is Raven Anŷa Silvercrow.
Let's take things and break them down a bit, shall we?  The name Raven is often denoted to mean solitude, dedication, or blessing.  I have also never been in a place in my life where there hasn't been a Raven.  One would be in my yard, or in the trees, it could be in a photo, or it could even be in a movie. I was never without a raven.

Now, onto my actual magickal name. Anya. This is the name I use when I am in ceremonies and rituals, and when talking about myself, my spells, my practice, or whenever I'm talking to the goddess about myself. Anya means gracious light. Remember how I said that your name ought to portray who you are, yet who you want to be? I am a gracious person by nature, I'm very nurturing and compassionate. I am an Empath. [Ill explain that in a later chapter] I am also a very dark and brooding person. I love rainstorms, midnight hours, and things that most people find odd and creepy. Sometimes I may seem almost unapproachable due to this dark aura. I chose a name that calls me who I am, but also what I want to develop into. I wish to be a brighter soul. I want to reach more people and show more kindness. I want to show the world the love that I have to give.

Anyways, on a side note.. it's totally okay to name yourself after someone you admire. If there is someone in the Craft that you look up to, or who taught you much, it's okay and perfectly natural to want to name yourself after them. I will advise you however, if you are planning on joining or are already within a coven, to not name yourself the same name or derivative as anyone else who is there.

*****so if this helped anyone, please feel free to vote and leave some feedback. Also I am always taking requests on what to write about next in my grimoire.
Thanks for reading :) Love and Light
-RavenSilvercrow

taylahstrauss
let me know what ya think