Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven:

I decided that it was about time to go back to school and face whatever problems the lesser peasants had toward me. I shouldn't have been bothered by them from the beginning, I was usually as hard and emotionless as stone, or at least that was the facade I used to mask myself from them. But that mask had cracked and crumbled, and the real Ari had come out for the first time in a long time. I couldn't really remember why I had to feel like I had to wear a mask, but it just seemed like something we all did to remain normal. But we weren't normal.

I think, looking back on my life, I changed the most when I joined this pathetic little private school. It was renowned for turning even the most innocent and caring people into wildly rich and unbelievably intelligent, self-serving, vanity teens.

That was what had become of me, and what I let happen to me. My mother had gone to the same school when she was my age, as had all of my family for generations since the school's establishment god knows how long ago.

Ever since my mother came to London to stay, she enrolled an innocent little boy into this devil school, and thus far I had surpassed her ever-growing vanity, I had probably become the most self-loving van der Gorz in history.

Funnily enough, when I returned to the school, all was the same as when I had left it. Not that I expected it to fall and crumble and crash and burn, but that didn't stop me wanting it to happen. I couldn't wish for anything more than the destruction of this filthy school.

It created monsters, these petty hallways with their vile cream marble floorings and silvery metallic lockers. I had grown so use to the grandeur of the place, it was like an old Russian palace embroided in bright, rainbow-like colours, which I found quite funny over the years because they were completely anti-gay. It was a posh, stereotypical, traditional school that still lived in the past. If it weren't for all of those laws against prejudice, the school would probably expel women and gays, it was practically like the 19th Century in these halls. I couldn't think of a more worse place.

Some guffawed and stared at me as if stunned by my presence; others looked straight through me, and quite a few just ignored me; but there was a minority that laughed or chuckled, and even those still loyal to their queen.

"Ari, it's good to see you back again," some blonde bitch I had never spoken to before said to me, rushing away with the wind, her face blushing like a tomato in the summer heat. I was getting that the rest of the morning as I stormed the hallways, with a swaggy walk that out-fabuloused every damn bitch in this whore-house.

I spent most of the day searching for my friends, rather than attending classes.

I knew that Vienna was expelled for indecent exposure a few days ago, but she told me that it was a conspiracy theory against her. Apparently, the school-board were so sickened by a pregnant, whoring student that they framed her for indecent exposure just to get her off the property.

Her mother had raged all week about it, and as far as I had heard, she was slowly overpowering every member of the student-board and replacing them with members loyal to her, or at least people that would accept a good old bribe. Vienna would be back in school within a week, I had predicted, and her mother would control the school-board harder than she had her last husband, which meant everything would get better for me.

I was picturing this darling future where there was no queen bee, or jocks were separated from the rest of the student body. Vienna's mother would make it all happen, if only her daughter asked. I was looking forward to it.

But something I didn't foresee in my future was my growing number of nosebleeds. I didn't consider that they were flowing more heavily and more recently, and I didn't even remotely attend to the idea that maybe I was having a relapse.