3- The Spat

Trrrrrriiinnngggggg!!!

I jumped out of bed and did a ninja flip onto the floor. What the hell was that?

“Time to get up!”

I looked at my phone. It was only six in the morning. And how the hell did an alarm clock land up in my room? That was a mystery.

“Are you crazy? I am not getting up before eight. It’s too cold. Besides, I haaaavvvvee no college today..hmph” I yawned.

I crawled back into bed, wrapping my blanket around me, ready to dive into dreamland again. But just five seconds later, I felt BG’s muscular hands grip my tiny waist and literally pull me out of bed.

“What do you eat? Two elephants at one go?”

He put me over his shoulder and without paying any attention to me, carried me downstairs. I struggled to get off but, me being the feeble gawky girl, failed miserably. He held on to my waist tightly.

 “Are you frickin’ babysitting me BG? What is this all about?”

“Your mom and dad asked me to look after you and your twin Brat, pun intended, while they were out. You need to chillax a bit.”

Brat. That was actually a more appropriate name for my brother.

“Okay, so put me down now or.. or.. or I’m going call the police.” I said, with the lack of a better  threat. Blackmails and me. We never mixed.

“Huh? And what you gonna say? That my bodyguard woke me up and carried me to the living room on his shoulder? Yeah, that’s a terrible crime!” He chuckled.

Now whenever this guy laughed, I felt defeated. It meant he was pleased with whatever he answered back to me. He made me feel really dumb. And angry. I was about to shout out another threat when he abruptly dropped me onto the sofa.

“Ouch! That hurt. BG, I’m gonna fire you!”

He, of course, paid no heed. Instead, he grabbed a chicken sandwich from the refrigerator and started gorging on it. When he saw me look at him with my mouth wide open, he spoke with his mouth full, “You want some then there’s more. Don’t look at mine like that!”

I rolled my eyes and headed for the washroom. I brushed my teeth and immediately after that, I realized that my stomach was growling.

“Chicken sandwich, here I come!” I screamed on my way to the kitchen.

There was not even a crumb of bread, let alone an entire chicken sandwich. “BG, where’s my sandwich?”

I turned to him and saw my brother dearest munching on the second sandwich, watching a game with BG. They were chattering and eating with their mouths open. Brad was in awe of BG’s body and all I heard was blah blah blah. And blah. With the names of action movies and football teams occasionally.  When BG noticed me looking at them in anger, he said, “Oh! I’m sorry I just made enough for two! I didn’t feel like making more! All the ingredients are on the counter! Help yourself!”

“Yeah Clairey, help yourself!” said Brad, his new sidekick.

“Where is the cook?” I shrieked.

“Oh! I told him we’d manage! I asked him to go home. He was so happy!” BG said.

Brad agreed, “Yeah. Who doesn’t love a holiday?”

I was completely mad at this point. I felt like grabbing them by their manes and making their heads collide so hard that they got detached from their bodies. I had no choice but to try my hand at making a sandwich. What I put together looked less of a sandwich and more of two slices of bread beaten to death. But I was happy. At least I would get to eat. I walked up to the sofa and had a seat.

“Hey BG could you change the channel?”

“No way! This is an important match. Go back to your room and study.” He retorted.

Brad couldn’t agree more. “Yeah Claire. You don’t want to fail and get grounded.”

That was it. I could take no more. I got up and walked to the kitchen counter. I grabbed a milk carton and came back to where the boys were sitting comfortably, enjoying their match. I poured it over their heads one by one. They jumped up and shouted curses at me but I just crossed my arms and paid no attention. When they were done, I warned BG.

“This is what happens when you order me around. You are just a bodyguard. Stop acting like this is your own home. I don’t even know why my parents let you behave that way! I have no idea why they seem to be so in love with a stranger they met two days ago.”I said, remembering how affectionate my parents were towards him. Since he came, he had been having dinner with us, and my parents loved the jokes he cracked, the stories he had to tell, everything. It was like he was their own son. Weird. And to top it all off, Brad got along with him like a house on fire. Not that I had a problem with all this, but now that BG had got onto my nerves, it all seemed to irritate me.

“Claire!” Brad shouted, narrowing his eyes.

“Shh… and you, I am not going to fail and get grounded. Because I am not you. Now shut the fuck up!”

Saying this, I went up to my room and felt relieved after letting out all the anger. I wondered what the look on the faces of the two assholes would be. And picturing them insulted, I felt so good.

That night, it was a quiet dinner. Me and BG hardly looked at each other, and Brad seemed angry too. I did not know why they were acting so pricey, they deserved it! Mom and dad looked worried about BG not talking much, which was quite a deviation from his usual self.

“Are you alright, dear?” Mom asked, looking at him.

BG looked up and said, “Yeah, Mrs. Watson. All’s good.”

“I doubt so.” Dad said with a hint of concern.

I finished my food as fast as I could and went to bed. It felt awkward sitting there with two guys whom I had fought with so badly. I woke up the next morning. It was a Monday, and I followed my usual schedule of getting ready for college. When I raced down the stairs, I saw BG sitting on the sofa. He was wearing a white t-shirt and the shape of his abs was clear from its tightness. He had black jeans on, and a pair of aviators hid his eyes, a different one this time. I hated to admit it, but he looked really handsome!

“Let’s go.” I said.

He got up without a word and headed outside without even giving me a corner-of-the-eye look. Talk about attitude. This guy really had some serious temper issues! He had coaxed me unknowingly into saying whatever I had, and it was not my mistake that he behaved so overtly proud and rude and what not. He owed me a sorry, but here, BG was taking it all out on me, let alone an apology.

He drove me to college. I got out of the car and without diving that darn BG a second look, I ran to my friends. Ashton and Jessica were waiting for me. I greeted them and talked to them for a while, and then I felt the sudden urge to look at BG. On second thoughts, I refused mentally. Suddenly, I could see chaos building up all around. The kids were all running here and there.

“What happened?” Jess said to us, confused.

Ashton grabbed a guy by the hand and inquired. Before I could listen to what he said. Somebody pulled my hand and swiftly in a single move me, had me lifted up. I closed my eyes in terror. There was an attack again, and me being the target, as BG had told me, I was kidnapped. Holy shit.

After I felt the person holding me slow down, I slowly opened my eyes. It was dark, and I could not make out anything. But when I heard a familiar voice, I felt safe like I never had before. BG had saved me. I hugged him involuntarily and buried my head in his arms, still scared. He hugged me back and whispered to me, “Don’t worry. Nothing can touch you until I’m here.”