19 - The Happy Ending

THREE YEARS LATER:

“Hey Brad, have you seen Jason?” I said, entering the house, furious. He was supposed to take me out on a date today. After college.  He had promised me. But he didn’t even show up to pick me. I was way beyond mad at him. The next day was my graduation ceremony, and I was not letting him come. No way.

“Umm… no!” Brad responded. The retard was lying for sure.

I stormed into his room and clasped his neck until he choked.

“Hey! Hey! Stop! I’ll tell you.” He finally gave in.

I let go and asked him, “Tell me! Where is he?”

“He is… you really think I’d tell you?” He threw a pillow at my face and when I manage to collect myself, he is gone. What kind of a brother is that?

I ran downstairs to find mom and dad sitting on the couch, having coffee.

“Have you seen Jason?” I asked them.

“No. What’s wrong?” Mom asked.

“Nothing… I just.. I’ll go to my room.” I said and went to my room.

I slammed the door hard and threw my bag on the floor. I flipped my phone across onto the bed and only then did I realize my room looked different.

Rose petals lay scattered on my bed. The lighting was dim, and I did not even realize it when I entered the room. There were candles lit across the room, on my nightstand and my dresser. I smiled automatically.

Suddenly, I felt muscular arms holding my waist from behind. I knew the familiar feeling.

“Jason?” I asked, smiling, “What is all this?”

“Umm… Claire?” he replied.

“What?” I said, nervous.

He turned me around to face him and stared at me for a few seconds, never breaking eye contact with me. His smirk didn’t cease for a moment, but I could tell he was nervous. He, all of a sudden, went down on his knees and extended his hand, a beautiful box with a gorgeous ring enclosed in it. My jaw dropped.

“Claire Watson, will you marry me?”  He smiled, looking ever so charming.

I covered my mouth with my hands and took in the whole thing. I was shocked and ecstatic at the same time. I was over the moon. Before I knew it, I was crying and I had already answered him.

“Yes Jason!” I said in between my sobs.

He slid the ring into my finger and kissed me. I hugged him for quite some time and then he finally spoke.

“So, we’re engaged!”

“Yeah, and I graduate tomorrow. I’ll be showing this off to everybody!” I said, still crying.

He hit me on the head, “Stop crying like a baby! It’s a good thing, right?” he said, chuckling.

Brad and my parents entered the room and greeted us with the widest smile ever! “Congratulations!” they said in unison.

“I knew something was fishy!” I laughed.

They gave me a group hug and Jason joined us. We looked at each other as my parents and Brad ushered in joy. Jason winked at  me and whispered, “I love you. Forever!”