11 - The Recovery

He was rushed to the hospital. Brad called dad. He and mom arrived soon. Ashton and Jessica had quickly noted down the number of the car in which the goons had arrived, and handed it over to the police. As for me, I really needed to get this whole thing clear. Why would anybody want to kill me? When dad arrived, I behaved like I didn’t know they were after my life, but I had a trick up my sleeve.

“Dad. I am being attacked again and again. What is all this about? I’m scared!” I hugged him, hoping he would spill the beans.

“I think we should tell her.” Mom put her pale fingers on dad’s shoulder.

“Claire…” Dad began, “We’ve been getting threats… that you will be killed.” Mom began to cry at his words.

“What?!” Who is it dad? I will beat them to death.” Brad said. His jaws were clenched and the nerves on his arms became prominent. I could tell he was really angry.

“We don’t know. That’s what we’re trying to find out.” Dad said. He paused and continued, “I really like Jason. He’s so dedicated. Look at what he did for our daughter today.” He said to mom, who nodded in agreement. I smiled to myself.

Brad would have made some stupid comment and put me into trouble, or nudged my arm. Thank God he was not in a good mood.

After an hour of pacing through the hospital corridor and checking my phone for Jason’s text only to realize that he was being operated upon, the doctor finally came out and told us that the operation was a success. I heaved a sigh of relief and thanked God. I rushed towards the operation theater, but the doctor stopped me.

“You can’t meet him yet, I’m sorry. “ He said smiling, with his hand on my shoulders.

I mentally cursed him and returned back to the chair I was sitting on. After another hour, we were finally allowed inside. As I opened the door, I saw Jason sleeping peacefully, an angelic glow on his face. My eyes moistened up.

I walked towards his bed and remembered how he had proposed to me in front of the whole college, and how I had mentally ranted at him thinking he liked somebody else. Tears streamed down my face helplessly. I sat down by his bed on a little tool, which was quite uncomfortable. I adjusted myself in my place and reached out a hand to stroke his hair. But I remembered that my parents were present, so I pretended to check his fever instead.

“He has fever!” I screamed, surprised.

The nurse gestured me to lower my voice.

“Sorry!” I whispered to her.

“The doctor says he needs to stay here for another four days.” My dad came in and informed us.

“I’ll miss him these four days.” Brad said, quite truly.

“Us too.” Mom said, referring to her and dad, “He lightens up every meal time.”

About me, if I said I’d miss him that would be an understatement. I was already horrified as to how I would spend four days without him at home. I was addicted to Jason by now. Big time! I wished the days went by fast.

That night, we reached home at ten minutes to midnight. My face was still swollen from the crying, and my head felt really heavy. I kept my bag on the desk and changed into my night dress. I didn’t eat anything apart from a chocolate bar; the one Jason had gifted me at college. I cried as I savored it, it was really yum by the way.

“Hey! You can’t eat that up alone! I buy you a chocolate and I don’t even get half?” Jason said, half-angrily.

“Jason!” I ran up to him and gave him a tight hug, happy, shocked and excited, but he released himself.