18 - Making Up

I wasn’t lucky enough to find a cab that early. I walked all the way to the airport. My legs were paining but nothing was taking me down. My determination got the better of me and when I finally reached the airport, I gave out a gasp. It was six thirty now, half an hour later mom would have been awake and probably be shocked to death after she read my letter. I cleared my mind off the thoughts. As I walked to the reception, I felt eyes on me. I asked the receptionist for a ticket to San Francisco. She said the next flight was ten minutes later and I began to get hyper. She charged extra for the emergency ticket. I cursed her under my breath and hurried to get into the plane just in time. Two minutes after I was on board, the plane took off. That was so close. My heart was beating really fast now.

During the five hour flight, I pictured myself going up to his home. I imagined Jason being pleasantly surprised on seeing me. I couldn’t believe I was actually doing this. A month and a half ago, I would have never dared to even hang out with my friends without telling my mom and dad first. And now, here I was, inside a plane, on a secret mission to make up with my boyfriend, without anybody knowing.

The flight landed. I was too nervous by then. I stepped off and immediately probed outside the airport for a cab. For safety, I hired one with a female driver and asked her to take me to the address Mindy gave me. As the cab drew closer to the destination, I was left in awe. Jason’s home was huge. No, huge would be an understatement. It was magnificent. My jaws dropped. Even my house felt tiny after seeing that. The driver stopped the cab at the main entrance and I walked down the graveled pathway. My eyes went all over the house, and finally stopped at a window on the first floor. I could see Jason through the windows. Looking flawless as usual, he was flipping through some books.

I walked to the door, but I had second thoughts. What if he didn’t come down to see me? What would I say to his family members? I looked to the only alternative. The drainpipe along the house. Damn.

I started climbing it, nervous to the core, but reminding myself the cause. Just one floor, I reminded myself repeatedly. Finally, I reached his window. Physical education classes did come in handy.

I knocked on the window furiously. I mean I was standing on the thin ledge, ready to fall off and die any moment.

He looked up, and his eyes went from normal to wide when he took in the scene in front of him. He rushed to open the window and I was finally let in. I hugged him tightly, and before he could pull away, I started.

“wait Jason! Wait. I’m so sorry for not talking to you that night. Let me explain. I love you, more than I have ever loved anybody. I cannot imagine my life without you! Please!”

His hands softly moved up my back. “You didn’t want a bodyguard?”

“Of course not. But if I had known it was you, do you think I would have refused. It’s a very silly matter Jason, please just let it go. Come back! I am ready to have a bodyguard forever if that is what it takes!  Please!” I begeed.

He hugged me tighter. “I’ve missed you so much, Claire. How did you come all the way up to here?”

“Long story… Let’s discuss it on the way back home?” I pull away and bite my lips, expecting an answer in the positive.

He chuckles and kisses me, hugging me at the same time. “Let me introduce you to my family first!”

“What? I literally just came in through the window!”

He pulled me by the hand and took me downstairs. “Hey everybody!”

There was a middle aged man and a woman who I assumed was his wife. There were two teenagers plopped on the couch too. I assumed they were Jason’s cousins.

“This is my girlfriend!” He said aloud and I blushed.

“Honey, how did she just emerge out of your room?” His aunt said. I gathered from the way he smiled at her that they got along.

“Long story short. She came all the way from NY to get me back!” He beamed with pride.

The teenage girl spoke, “Awwww! Jason, you never mentioned a girlfriend!”

“Yeah, yeah, fine. Hey, umm… Uncle Phil, thanks for letting me stay here. I’m sorry I misbehaved.” He said shyly and walked up to his uncle, hugging him. I was too shocked, as was everybody else.

I guess he was way too happy.

By evening, we both left.