14 - Identity

There was constant tension at home from that day on. Even I couldn’t focus on anything anymore, given my present status. I was endangered for God’s sake! Jason was suddenly more alert. It was endearing to see him so concerned about me. Meanwhile, the goons who had shot him were facing trial. They were the ones who had exposed Edwin, and now they were in trouble either way.

“Will you please elaborate on this topic?” Jason asked, stern.

“Yeah, sure. Sit.” I replied.

Edwin’s story dated back to when I was in high school. In my senior year, I suddenly started receiving love notes on a random day. It seemed really stupid to me. One day, he showed up in front of my school, and I talked to him very rudely, making sure that he understood I wasn’t interested in him at all. But of course he didn’t get it. He crossed his limits when I slapped him one day after he followed me home. I could not control my anger that day. I told him that nobody could ever love a guy like himself. That was the last time I saw him. It was only a week later that I came to know about his criminal record. After hearing the story, Jason ran his fingers through his hair, stressed out.

“And he said he loved you?” He enquired.

“Uh huh… every time.”

“But he clearly doesn’t know the first thing about love. What an asshole!” he clenched his fist and the veins on his neck were now prominent. To be honest, even I was intimidated.

“But, he doesn’t stand a chance before you!” Saying this, I placed my lips on his, and he kissed me back. My body temperature went up a notch.

We parted and I left him to go to my room. I had some assignments to do. As I entered my room and tried to close the door, I realized it was stuck. The next moment, I realized why it was stuck. Jason was firmly holding the knob.

“What?” I laughed. He didn’t.

My mouth contracted back to an expressionless face. “Wh-what?”

“I’m gonna stay here. With you.”

“You can’t! Mom and dad…”

“Oh shut up. I don’t mean share this room with you.” He hit me on the head, “I mean I’m gonna keep a watch on you. Do your work. I’ll be by the window.”

I really didn’t want him to sit there. If he did, I would not be able to concentrate on my work.

“And don’t get distracted.” He smirked and pointed to himself, “So what’d this Edmund guy look like?” he started fiddling with his phone.

“Ed-Win. Win, Jason.”

“Yeah, that.”

“Umm… average.”

“Little more details, please.”

“Umm…green eyes. Blonde hair, and…oh! There was a cut right here!” I pointed to the tail of my right eyebrow.

Jason looked up from his phone, shocked.

“What? And was he like, really tall?”

“Yeah.” I answered, nervous.

“And he had a big tattoo on his forearm?”

“You know him?” I placed one hand on the desk and the other on my hip.

“His name is not Edgar.”

“I know. His name is Edwin. Edwin!”

“No! I mean his real name is Bob. He was my arch rival in high school. So he went by the name Edwin.”

I gaped at him in shock.

“Well…this is at a whole different level now.” He said, “I’m going to put him right where he deserves to be.”