16 - Misunderstood

I had already had a taste of his temper once. I did not want to interact with him while he was at the peak of his temper pyramid. I decided it would be best to give him some time to cool off and talk to him in the morning.

When I got home, I was really tired and went straight to bed without having dinner. Moreover, I could not gather courage to face him. I was pretty scared. What if he crushed me in anger? You never know. But to my surprise, he stormed into my room himself!

“How could you not want a bodyguard? How could you not want me?” He raised his eyebrows.

I wanted to tell him that I had not known that he was gonna be my bodyguard and I would fall head over heels in love with him. But I was too tired and the physical exhaustion had really got me. I decided I would talk to him in the morning.

In the morning, I got up at six. Extra early. Still in my pajamas, I made my way to his room to apologize. I was surprised to see that the door wasn’t locked. It was a bit open. I held the knob and pushed the door open. The bed was made, the pillows were fluffed and Jason, he was gone. I just knew it at that moment.  I felt a sudden pang in the pit of my stomach. As I was about to leave the room to alert everybody, my eyes fell on a piece of paper by the nightstand. I held it up by the window.

Mr. and Mrs. Watson,

Thank you for all the love you gave me. I felt all this while that I was with family. I’m really sorry for my sudden departure, but I had to leave due to some work commitments. I’ll really miss you all. Stay happy.

Jason.

I felt like kicking myself in the face. What had I done?! I should have talked to him the last night itself! I should have told him somehow, that it was before I saw him that I dreaded having a bodyguard. The whole matter felt ridiculously stupid for him to actually leave. It was so not a work commitment. It was me. Shit!

I ran to my room and dialed his number, looking at the letter, rereading it to myself again and again. I cursed myself and cried.

“The number you have dialed is switched off at the moment.”

I threw my phone on the bed in anger.  I lay down flat on my bed and covered my eyes with my arms as I cried incessantly. I could not stop myself.

A few minutes later, mom was up and she probably heard me howling, which was why she came up to check on me.

“Claire?”

I handed her the letter.

“Oh my…”

“Why did dad say that in front of him? It’s not like I didn’t want Jason. I love him so much. How can he be so mad at me?”

“Calm down, honey. He probably loves you just as much. Which is why he’s so hurt.”

“How am I ever gonna get him back? He switched off his phone too. I have no idea where he is.”

“It’s my fault mommy. I should have talked to him last night. He came to my room. What am I gonna do now?”

Mom consoled me and left. But I kept feeling the same way. I had committed a blunder. And things were not gonna be the same again. I would probably not see the only guy I had fallen in love with, again.