7 - Its About Time

“Hi! Can I sit next to you?” He pretended like he did not know me.

“No!” I retorted, mad at him. Very mad.

“Hey, why don’t you sit here?” A girl offered. He got a few more similar offers, which made me really jealous. And I could not stop myself.

“He’ll sit here. Sit.” I ordered him.

Jason sat down beside me and flashed his killer smile; I would have totally fainted had I not been angry. The other girls were surprised at him listening to me. They totally wanted him. I could tell. We all could. Even Jess was ogling at him. What more can I say? Throughout the class, everybody had their eyes on Jason, even the boys. And it was really distracting. I could not focus on my lessons. Ugh. After the class was over, I packed my bag and headed towards him. Before I could mutter a word, numerous female entities pushed me out of their way and began flirting with him. Great! So now I could not talk to my own bodyguard? What the hell?! I stood there with my mouth open and a big frown on my forehead.

As if that was not enough, the guys came over and started asking him to join the football team. ‘Do you know he’s actually 23?’ I wanted to shout out.

Finally when the crowd cleared out, I got to talk to him.

“You…” I began, only to be cut off by him.

“Your dad asked me to do this. Even I hated this idea. But now with all the girls over me, I don’t really mind!” He chuckled.

“Hey! You can’t flirt with them!” My possessive self said.

When I realized that would make him suspicious of my crush, I quickly added, “Because…if you do, umm…they will all soon get to know how proud and irritating you are and they will all hate you Jason. And you wouldn’t like that, would you?”

I had no idea if that made any sense, but I got to the point. “But why did dad… oh! ‘cause of the attack last night? Right. And how did all this get arranged so quickly?”

“Your dad is a friend of the trustee. And only the principal knows that I’m here to protect you. So don’t let it out, okay?”

I nodded. Ash and Jess joined us at lunch. Every girl, with or without a boyfriend, had their eyes on Jason, who was sitting right beside me. It felt awkward. They were probably wondering why he chose me out of the whole lot. I was popular, and pretty too, but not exactly the glamorous type. I never put on makeup except for parties. I never really liked to dress up like the other girls. But that was just me. And the other girls were, at that pint of time, making me really angry. Why were they staring at him? I did not like it at all. I just wish Jason knew.

Halfway through recess, Jessica started making a move towards Jason. As if things weren’t complicated enough already, my best friend was now advancing towards my crush. Shit. And I didn’t know if it would be right to intervene. I was confused and sad.

“Hey Jason, do you like this lipstick too?” She smiled, hinting at their meeting at the mall.

I wished she had a boyfriend so she would not hit on Jason.

“Yes. Better!” He replied.

I looked at the two with utter despair and helplessness. My phone beeped and it was Brad, texting me from across the mess.

‘What up sis? Why the frown?’

‘Jess hitting on Jason L’

‘Hey. U really like him?’

‘I guess  L’

‘Me too J’

‘Help me idiot’