[chapter twenty six]

| Forbidden Sparks |
[chapter twenty six]
(Acacia's p.o.v.)
.
.
.
The entire thirty minute drive to the hospital was quiet and full of dread. My eyes lingered out the window and only acknowledged Brody when his hand would squeeze mine every so often.

We finally had pulled into a parking spot at the hospital. I don't even think the car came to a full stop before I jumped out. A million thoughts ran through my head as I jogged to the entrance. Jesus, I just hope my dad is okay.

I'm not at all religious but you can bet your ass I was praying the entire drive here. My mom never clarified what happened or if he was even okay. I could feel Brody hot on my trail as I rushed up the receptionist at her desk.

"Hi. Can you tell me what room Henry Sparks is in?" The woman, who had a bad red dye job if you ask me, barely gave me her attention.

"Who?" She asked in an annoyed tone. Clearly she wasn't listening when I frantically asked about my father, who's heath state is unknown to me at that moment.

"She asked what room Henry Sparks is in," a strong voice came up from behind me. It was familiar. My brother strolled to the desk, next to me.

The receptionists eyes immediately jolted up to meet his gaze. Oh, so now she's paying attention? She quickly looked on her computer to find the number. "Room 341. Straight down the hall, to the left."

Kade, Brody, and I all walked down the hall, scanning for my dad's room. It was a rare sight to see Kade worried, but he was trying to conceal it. His perfectly tailored suit told me he came right from work.

My hatred for hospitals made itself more apparent. They just reeked of cleaning supplies and sick people. And overall, they just gave me a bad feeling. I tried not to look at the rooms that had their doors open.

       339.

       340.

       341...

       My eyes hovered the number with a sense of angst. Brody's fingers intertwined with mine. And for some reason, a small ounce of relief crept into my system. A half-hearted smile tugged at my lips to show I was grateful for how comforting he had been.

        We walked in to see Mom standing above my Dad's hospital bed. "Oh good! You guys are here." She gave both Kade and I a motherly peck on the cheek.

       "Jen, why did you call the kids?" My father, looked caught off guard, and quite embarrassed.

      "What happened? Dad, are you okay?" My brother rushed to his side.

       "I'm fine! You know your mother. She freaks out over a paper cut." His deep chuckle filled the room. Thank god he was okay. It was strange seeing my strong father, laying there hooked up to IV's

        I didn't even realize Brody was still holding my hand, until my mother's gaze fell onto us. I caught her raise an eyebrow at me before directing her attention to my male companion. "Brody. Long time, no see. How are you, honey?"

        Without thinking, I pulled my hand out of his. I didn't need my mother's judgement right now. Or ever, actually.