• Chapter 1 •

*present*

"Ms. Jackson? Ms. Jackson?"

I shook my head out of my daydream.

"Yes sir? I'm sorry. I was just-"

"Daydreaming." My boss said as he placed a new folder down on my desk. "You have a new patient."

I picked up the folder and opened it.

There were a few papers with information on the patient and a paper clip that held up a picture.

"Your regularly scheduled patient is waiting for you downstairs in the lobby." My boss said before walking out.

I grabbed my pen and folders filled with papers and walked out of my office before closing and locking it.

I held the folders close to my chest as I walked steadily down the aisle of other offices.

The building had offices with glass walls and huge windows.

"Hey Jojo, I got 2 VIP passes to a club downtown, you in?" Gina asked walking beside me.

"Nah, I'm good."

"Is it because of what happened 17 years ago?" She asked.

I sighed, "of course not. I'm so over that."

We got to the elevator and I pushed the button to go down.

"Girl, you need a man. You need excitement and happiness. I'm tired of seeing you around 'broke Tony' every night."

I laughed," Tony is not broke, he's just...having a rough time."

"Yeah and he asks you out and YOU have to pay the bill? Uh, no ma'am." Gina said.

The elevator door opened and I stepped inside.

"I'll think about it."

"Don't wait too long!" Gina yelled as the elevator door closed.

☽☽☽

I never got over what happened 17 years ago. It was just too good to be true.

It all ended so abruptly and I'm left speechless that I would never see him again.

I smiled as I saw one of my favorite patients,
Audrey. She was an elderly woman who was married to a rich man, but suddenly he met his fate 4 years ago.

"Oh hello Ms. Josephine." She smiled as she came to me with open arms.

"How are you?" I asked hugging her back.

We walked into my office where I have my private sessions and talk to my patients.

"Oh I've been doing...okay. I've spent time with my grandchildren. They're so beautiful." She said sitting down.