Part 19

I gazed down on him blankly, feeling irritated as hell. Why did I have to be here when in fact I could be chilling at home? (And doing our project.)

“Well, this is awkward...” Okuda-san murmured, glancing around. We were inside the infirmary—all Class 3E, actually. It’s like a mini-gathering. Irina-sensei tapped her heels on the floor impatiently, crossing her arms. She must be as disturbed as I am. As for Karasuma-sensei, he was like a guard beside the door. The rest of us remained serene as we watched Karma in his slumber.

The tick-tocking of the clock made all of us want to go home except for Koro-sensei and Karasuma-sensei. They didn’t tell me straight up, but it’s an instinct. It’s like we all had special connection, of some sort. Especially Irina-sensei. Her impatience is obvious.

Minutes later, Karma slowly fluttered his eyes open. He blinked thrice before acknowledging his surrounding. For the first time since we met today, I noticed the bandage around his head and a medium sized blood stain on the side of his head. Must be idiocy that got him to that situation. Maybe karma, too. Oh, how that name suits him if it is.

“You guys...” He muttered, voice hoarse for he was fresh from sleep and gave each one of us a furtive glance. “Can you leave (y/n)-chan and I alone?” My eyes widened and my heart throbbed in my chest. Was he serious?

Koro-sensei and the others exchanged meaningful looks, some even threw me questioning glances and smirks. Then they left the room, leaving me and Karma alone. Alone in this room.

“So, tell me why I am here and why you want to see me.” I said, my voice quavering a little. Our last encounter with each other didn’t end up so well, and I do hope he already forgot about it. “Did you miss me that much?” I added to hide the nervousness.

He tried sitting up from his bed and even stared at me like he was asking for help. I acted like I didn’t know he needed one and examined the whole place. It was nearly tidy with the white walls and ceiling. The floor didn’t seem to be mopped.

I heard Karma sigh and that was my cue to look at him. “Are you okay?”

“Did you seriously want me to come here to only ask me that?” He shot me daggers as if he’s offended and I took a step back. “Why do you ask?”

“Uh, because the one in front of you is a concerned classmate?” I suddenly had a warm feeling in my stomach. I didn’t want to assume but... does Karma still have— “So?”

“If you’re wondering about what I feel about the rejection incident, then no worries. It’s not a big deal. I’m totally fine now.”

Karma gave me a flat stare. “And that explains why you’ve spent your weekend crying?”

I blushed. “I was watching bundles of sad movies! And how the heck did you see me bawling my eyes out?”

“You were sitting by the window.” Right.

I averted my gaze. “Okay, now that I’ve answered your question, I’m going home.”

He tugged at the hem of my shirt. I quirked my brows at him. “I just wanna say...”

“Huh?”

“I love you.”

I knew that my eyes twitched for half a minute. I wasn't used to someone telling those things to me. To be honest, I've never had someone utter that confidently to me except for Mom and Dad.

Without a reply and hesitation, I burst out the door. Class 3E simultaneously looked at me, including Itona-kun. Don't get affected. Don't get weak with his eyes. Act natural.

"I'm going home, guys!" I shouted, but my voice seemed off for some reason.

At least home is just up ahead.

°·•~

Flip.

After all the efforts he put in, this was what he would get? Rejection? The prize is loneliness?

I closed the book, a familiar emotion creeping in. Can feelings be erased? Can tears be stopped?

Mine cannot be.

Reading this book only reminded me of two people: Karma and Itona. Well, I indirectly said "no" to Karma and Itona did to me too, only bluntly.

I thought a book would somehow lighten up the darkness I felt, but the choice of genre made the mood worse as it just brought up bad memories. Maybe nothing could really boost my happiness today. That was... sad.

With stress-eating on my mind, I slowly climbed down the stairs. Mom sat in front of the TV that blared annoyingly beside Dad who slept soundly. When she heard the footsteps, she looked up at me. "What's up?"

"Any midnight snacks?"

Mom focused on me and straightened her body. "Look it up on the cabinet or fridge. What do you want, anyway?"

"Noodles? Something like that."

"Well, I haven't bought that last week, sorry."

"Then I'll settle for ice cream. Do we have vanilla, chocolate and cookies and cream flavor? Oh, also Pistachio."

She blinked. "Do you wish to—"

"Do we have it?"

"I... I guess."

Nodding, I went to the kitchen and ate what I could ate. I wasn't really conscious of how much I was eating already, but perhaps after an hour inside the kitchen, fullness developed in my stomach. All because of different flavors of ice cream.

Mom quirked an eyebrow the moment she saw me going out but then didn't utter a single syllable.

I looked at the clock hanging on the wall. Damn. Three. Would I still be able to be punctual to school tomorrow? I can't afford to be late on the first class because we have an assignment to be passed.

Curse you, insomnia. Hope you die.

I yawned when the time told me it's already four. This is an indication that I'm ready to sleep—all thanks to food. I rolled on my bed, and after a minute or so, I was already on dreamland without a worry in mind.