Chapter 5 : Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Worn

The ride back home was a quiet one, Arthit fuming at the course of events that had taken place. Kongpob was looking out of the window moodily, the stormy expression on his face looked foreign. 

"Well, 'night then, Kongpob. Thanks, I suppose."

They stood outside Arthit's door. It was only then Arthit began to wonder the reason for Kongpob being at the club. 

"Kongpob?"

Kongpob turned around, he leaned against Arthit's door frame. 

"Say, what were you doing there tonight?"

"I don't know, P'Arthit. I suppose I could be prompted to answer with a cup of coffee."

Arthit was at a loss of words, it seemed that the years apart had only made Kongpob bolder. 

"Come in, then."

Five minutes later, they were settled on the couch with steaming mugs of rich coffee. Arthit peeked at Kongpob sideways, his quiff made his face look more well-defined. 

"Well?"

The smile which was the bane of Arthit's existence was back. Kongpob let the silence drag on, his eyes alight with mischief. Arthit wondered whether it was worth sacrificing his pride to satisfy his ever growing curiousity about his juniour. 

"Kongpob!"

"Okay, P'. Let's see, I was at the club because it was June's birthday."

"Why did you leave with me then? She must be wondering where you are -"

"It looked like you needed my help. June won't notice, I'm sure -"

"How will she not notice? Isn't she your girlfriend -"

Arthit stopped himself, he was bordering on being obnoxiously nosy. He took a swig of his coffee, hoping that his face wasn't retaining a red hue. Kongpob coughed loudly. 

"Girlfriend? I mean - yes, yes - June's my girlfriend -"

Arthit tried to convince himself that the sinking feeling in his gut was a byproduct of spending an evening being accosted by Tuta's love interest. He smiled weakly at Kongpob, he shouldn't have assumed someone as handsome as Kongpob would remain unattached for long. 

"I'm off then, P'. Thank you for the coffee."

Arthit didn't trust himself to speak, merely nodding in affirmation. Kongpob dithered near the doorway, his head was tilted sideways deep in thought. 

"P'Arthit?"

Arthit looked at him questioningly. Kongpob's answering smile set butterflies aflutter in his stomach. Arthit gulped loudly. 

"I'll always be there, if you need my help."

Arthit stared at the door as it was slammed shut. Now what was that supposed to mean. 

***********************************************************************

Arthit had just tucked himself into bed when the knocking began. He wondered whether he was paying comeuppance for the sins he had committed in his past life. He shouted like a crotchety old man.  

"Enough! I'm coming -"

Tuta howled in pain as Arthit slammed the door in his face. He hobbled in clutching at his nose. 

"I thought I would come and check on you -"

"You finally remembered?"

Arthit's sarcastic tone wasn't lost on anyone. He sat on the sofa cross-legged, resting his chin on his hands.