Chapter 16 : Revelations

Arthit looked down at his hands, they were covered with Kongpob's blood. He was in denial, the events of the evening hadn't sunk in yet. Kongpob was in intensive care, a colleague of his had tried to get Arthit to answer some questions but he had snapped at him, refusing to be interrogated till he was assured Kongpob was safe.

Knott was panting by the time he reached Arthit, he dropped into a chair in the waiting room.

"I came as soon as I saw your message, Ai'Arthit - N'Kong - where is he?"

Arthit's eyes welled up again, he felt miserable. If only he hadn't called Kongpob to his office, he would have been safe and sound.

"H-he's in the ICU -"

Knott put an arm around Arthit's shoulder allowing him to rest his head on Knott's shoulder.

"He'll be alright, Ai'Arthit - everything will be fine."

"He wouldn't even be here, if I hadn't called him -"

Knott scowled, he should have known Arthit would blame himself for what happened.

"Don't you dare think that way, Ai'Arthit. If he hadn't been there, that man would have killed you -"

Arthit fingered the USB still intact in his pocket, for some reason he couldn't bring himself to tell Knott about it. He wiped at his eyes, and both he and Knott stared at the door to the ICU, hoping against hope to hear some good news.

Arthit had dozed off, he woke to Knott shaking his shoulder roughly.

"He's awake -"

"Where is he?"

"They've moved him to Room 6 in the west wing -"

Arthit didn't wait for Knott to complete his sentence, he ran as fast as his legs could take him. He couldn't care for the other occupant in the room, he put his arms around Kongpob in a tight hug. He felt Kongpob pat him on the back.

"P'Arthit -"

Arthit heard someone clear their throat, he jumped back in surprise. Niran didn't look pleased.

"I'll come back later, Kongpob."

Arthit hung his head, he was creating nothing but trouble for his boyfriend.

"Did I just put you in trouble with -"

"It's fine, P'Arthit. Don't worry about it. Come here."

As Kongpob wound an arm around his waist, Arthit stepped into his embrace. He kissed Kongpob gently. In his relief, he could only mutter the same words Oh thank God, thank God you're okay.

*******************************************************************

"I have something important to show you."

Arthit ensured that the curtains were drawn and the door was locked before he took the USB out of his pocket and dropped it onto Kongpob's palm.

"What's this?"

"I found it lodged in my drawer - I think this is what they're after -"

Kongpob turned it around in his hand, it was cracked along the edge from the previous day's altercation. A contemplative look came over his face.

"Why was this with you?"

"I don't know, I've never seen it before. Do you think someone planted it in my desk?"

Kongpob sighed, his finger prodded at the cracked edge. He spoke distractedly.

"I don't know, P'Arthit. We may not be able to recover anything from this."