Chapter 34 : Love Is A Strange, Mysterious Thing

Kongpob was back in the interrogation room, this time with P'Ran. Now that, Knott had been acquitted they had to establish for a fact that P'Gun was behind the murder. The only problem with that was, Kongpob was almost certain it wasn't P'Gun.

P'Ran started by pressing the button on the recording device.

"Mr. Kitjakarn, you say that you witnessed Mr. Atitarn commit the murder, is that right?"

"Yes."

"But, you didn't confirm the same with him or try to report the crime to the police?"

"No."

"Aiding and abetting a crime, is a crime too, Mr. Kitjakarn. You have tried to hinder the working of the law."

Kongpob cleared his throat, indicating he wanted to take over. P'Ran gave him a subtle nod.

"P'Knott, don't worry about that right now. Please tell us the details of what you saw that day."

"Right. It was a Tuesday, I had left from work pretty late. I stopped by at a restaurant to grab a quick meal, when I saw P'Gun walk by. I called out to him, but he didn't respond, and there was something about the way he was walking, like he was in a hurry -"

"And you're certain it was indeed, P'Gun?"

"Why do you keep asking me that? I know how he looks like."

Kongpob could sense Knott's frustration, he persisted though. It was important for them to know without a doubt that it was had been P'Gun.

"You mentioned it was dark, is it possible you mistook him for someone else. Someone who strikes a resemblance to him?"

Knott frowned, thinking hard. A moment later, he shook his head.

"It was him, I'm sure."

"Very well, please continue."

"So I followed him, because I thought he was in trouble. He finally stopped in front of a house, it was dark inside. I waited outside, suddenly I heard yelling and then a scream. P'Gun came out, dragging the body of the man outside -"

"And the knife, it was in his hand?"

Knott scratched his ear, trying to remember. He fumbled with his words, trying to piece together the fragments of his memory.

"Y-yes, he had the knife."

"Did you touch the knife?"

"No."

Kongpob exchanged a look with P'Ran, they had both reached the same conclusion. P'Ran leaned forward in his chair, looking excited.

"Don't you realise what this means, Mr. Kitjakarn?"

"Um, no?"

"There are two possibilities, either Mr. Atitarn was the man committing the crime, and he wiped his fingerprints clean and put on yours to frame you -"

"He would never do that. Someone must have done that later -"

P'Ran looked annoyed at being interrupted. He sniffed loudly, continuing in his boisterous tone.

"As I was saying, either Atitarn framed you, which you don't think is possible. Or the second possibility is, that the man you saw was never Atitarn, and this person knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to frame you. My bet's on the second one."

Knott's gaze was transfixed on the wood of the desk, mulling things over. Kongpob stayed back after P'Ran left the interrogation room.

"P'Knott, are you alright?"