Chapter 24 : The Gentle Giant's Tale

Knott cursed under his breath, he checked the clock for the umpteenth time, jumping to his feet when Arthit arrived. Arthit's eyes adjusted to the brightness in the room, he blinked a couple of times.

"Ai'Knott, now tell me clearly from the beginning, what happened?"

Knott looked aggrieved, he sighed heavily motioning for Arthit to sit down, collapsing on the sofa himself. His apartment was modest compared to Arthit's, much of his salary went in taking care of his father.

"My father's condition has been getting worse, the doctor's been talking about a heart transplant and Arthit - I've tried, I really have, but we just can't afford it right now -"

Knott broke off shuddering slightly, Arthit moved closer, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"- we've got to get the money in 3 days, otherwise Pa's position in the list for donors will be gone -"

"That's not a problem, Ai'Knott. Ai'Prem and I can pool in our savings, between the three of us, we can manage -"

"That's the thing though, the money isn't why I've called you - but first promise me you won't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you."

"I promise."

"My brother, that damn fool - has done something so reckless -"

"Is this N'Tae?"

"Yes. He's gone and robbed a jewellery store - and now we can't find him - his face was plastered all over the CCTV footage - Ai'Arthit what should I do?"

"Are the police looking for him?"

"Yes. He's still a minor, so I'm not sure what the penalty would be - I don't understand why he would do something like this - I have been shuffling funds from here and there, the past week - why didn't he trust me?"

Arthit had met Knott's brother a couple of times, he was a troubled teenager, often getting bullied at school. He couldn't imagine the sullen teenager robbing a store, though.

"Ai'Knott, I think it would be a good idea to ask Kongpob, he would know what to do, better than us."

"No! Please don't tell him, at least not till we find N'Tae. Will you help me look for him?"

"But, Ai'Knott -"

"Kongpob, is a detective at the end of the day. And I need to talk to my brother first, look at this -"

Arthit's eyes widened as he read N'Tae's last message to Knott. In it, he wrote that he had taken care of things for their father and that he was going to make sure that the shame he had brought to the family would die with him.

"-he's -he has threatened to kill himself -"

Arthit's resolve hardened, he pressed down on Knott's shoulder.

"There's no time to waste Ai'Knott. Think of all the places he could go, let's split up and check them. And, I know what you think, but we have to call Kongpob, he could expedite the process. We'll find your brother -"

"What if we're too late?"

"We won't be - we won't. You'll see, now come on."

***********************************************************************

Kongpob called in a favour with his friend in the IT department to track down the last sightings of N'Tae on the traffic cameras. He looked every bit a detective with his quick movements, eyes trained to take in every minute detail. Arthit followed him, as he entered an abandoned warehouse.