Chapter 41 : Knight in Shining Armour

"P'Arthit! Why did you leave and why aren't you picking up my calls? I had to use the tracking app to get hold of you -"

Arthit grimaced, he turned his face away, trying to hide the inevitable pained expression, his face conveyed.

"I'm tired, I wanted to go home -"

"I can tell when you're lying. Please turn around and talk to me."

Kongpob pressed his chin against Arthit's shoulder, pressing himself snugly behind Arthit, till their cheeks were pressed together.

"What is it P'Arthit? What's wrong?"

Arthit pressed his lips together, he felt Kongpob's arms slide around his waist, turning him around in his embrace.

"I heard what P'Ran told you at the station -"

"Is that why you ran away to the middle of nowhere? Because of what P'Ran said? Oh, P'-"

Arthit looked straight into Kongpob's eyes, determined to say his piece.

"He's right, you know, P'Ran. I always take you for granted, don't I? -"

"That's utter nonsense, P' and if you believe that, then sorry, but that's really stupid."

"Kongpob!"

Arthit's nostrils flared, he tried to reign in his temper, unsuccessfully. Kongpob seemed unfazed by his anger, he put a hand over Arthit's protesting mouth.

"No. Listen to me. Otherwise you will keep on overthinking things in your head. P'Arthit, you probably won't even remember this, but, the first time we met, I was just fresh out of high school and you were already two years into your course. You were so kind to me then, when I was just a stranger -"

Arthit made a sound of protest, and Kongpob lowered his palm from his mouth.

"Why don't I remember this?"

Kongpob smiled, a mischievous look on his face.

"Clearly you made more of an impression on me, then I did for you. You see, I had a soft corner for you from that day, I wanted to see your smile again, wanted to be the reason behind it even."

"Stop, don't you feel embarrassed, spouting this nonsense?"

"Not even a little bit. What I'm trying to say, rather inarticulately is, that I love you, most ardently. If you think, even for a second that, you don't deserve my love, then I've failed in loving you and perhaps, it should be me who doesn't deserve you."

Arthit's hand was gripping his forearm tightly, he looked like he couldn't bear to hear anymore of Kongpob's words.

"What can I say to make you believe that? Tell me, and I will say, or do, whatever it takes."

Arthit put his arms around him, pressing his forehead against Kongpob's shoulder.

"Nothing. You don't have to do anything."

Arthit basked in the warmth of their embrace, thinking to himself that even if he didn't deserve Kongpob's love, he would allow himself to be selfish for once, if it only meant having him by his side.

"Can we go home now?"

"P'Arthit, it would be probably be better to get back -"

"If I see P'Ran again, I swear I'm going to do some permanent damage to him -"

Kongpob gave him an uneasy smile, but even this he loved about his P'Arthit.

"Alright. Let's go home."