Chapter 6 : On a Collision Course to Nowhere

Arthit sniffed loudly, he was coming down with a cold. The elevator dinged, he got in quickly, legs shaking with jitters. They would receive their personnel reports today, Arthit had been eyeing the promotion to assistant manager.

The only other occupant in the elevator, the director's personal assistant offered Arthit a smile. Arthit for all he tried, couldn't remember his name. He bowed his head in greeting. The lights flickered suddenly followed by the elevator coming to a standstill.

The assistant began to press at the emergency button urgently. He was panicking, looking wildly for an escape. Arthit touched his shoulder hesitatingly.

"Sir, are you alright?"

The man grasped at his hands suddenly, his palms were slick with sweat.

"No, no. I hate small spaces - "

Arthit looked around briefly, he opened the panel in the elevator wall taking out the phone.

"Hello?"

Arthit's eyes flickered to the man hyperventilating in front of him, and then he went back to staring at the wall in front of him.

"Yes - yes, 3A. Two people, listen the man with me is having a tough time - claustrophobia, yes. Okay, thanks. Bye."

He gently kneeled down next to the man.

"Help's coming. There was some kind of software error, while they were installing some new antivirus programs -"

He stopped, it didn't seem the man was registering what he was saying.

"What's your name, Sir?"

"G-Gun. You - you don't have to call me Sir."

"P'Gun, help's coming. Take deep breaths, okay?"

Arthit pulled out his cellphone, typing a quick message to Knott. He repeated the same message to Kongpob, just in case. He needed to keep P'Gun distracted.

"P'Gun? How long have you been working for the director?"

"Six years this April."

Something rattled above them. The elevator went silent for a brief moment followed by a free fall of few inches.

P'Gun had fainted.

***********************************************************************

Arthit ran his fingers along the seam separating the two doors of the elevator, if they were close enough to a floor they could climb out. But what could he use to lodge it open?

"P'Arthit?"

Arthit had never been so relieved to hear Kongpob's voice. He shouted back loudly.

"Kongpob! We're here - Kongpob! -"

"P'Arthit? Hold on, stand back from the door."

Arthit watched slowly as the doors rattled, separating inch by inch. Kongpob's legs came into view. They were a little ways off from a floor. Arthit watched as Kongpob's muscles strained with the effort, he twisted the length of the metal rod he was using to prop the door open.

Kongpob's face appeared then, he was bent at the knees, holding a hand out towards Arthit.

"Give me your hand, P'."

"Kongpob, wait. There's a man who has fainted here, get him out first."

He watched as Kongpob warred with himself for a moment.