Chapter 23 : Right Here, Waiting

Arthit was in a terrible mood, he hadn't got a chance to apologize to Kongpob yet. He had come to visit Arthit a few times, once with P'Ran to get his statement. Arthit wasn't able to get time alone with him. He moodily shifted his dinner, he was going to be discharged tomorrow.

"Oon, why don't you come home and stay with us for a while?"

His father made it a point to join him at meal times, he had even warmed up to Kongpob. This evening, they were playing chess. Kongpob's ears perked up when he heard Arthit's father's question.

"Pa, I don't want to travel now -"

"Who will take care of you then? Besides, you haven't been home for a while."

"Pa, my friends -"

"Why do you want to be a burden on your friends? Mai and I will take care of you at home."

Arthit's temper was rising, as was common with most of his interactions with his father. Through gritted teeth, he pushed himself up into a sitting position.

"I'm not going, that's it."

"Why are you being unreasonable? I have to get back, your mother is getting antsy and I can't leave you in this state."

"Pa! -"

Kongpob cleared his throat.

"Uncle, I'll take care of him."

Arthit gaped at him, while his father beamed at Kongpob, patting him on the shoulder. He turned over to Arthit, his face cross, wagging a finger in his face as he scolded.

"You're lucky to have friends like this, Oon. Fine, I'll let you stay here but you must call me everyday - and - in a week's time, when you're better you have to come home, understood?"

Arthit nodded sullenly, his father had the unique ability of making him feel like a child all over again. His ears burned, as he recalled all the embarrassing childhood stories his father had told Kongpob.

"N'Kong - ah! You've cornered me again - Oon, here - look! Help your Pa."

Arthit craned his neck to look at the chess board, frowning. There was no way to avoid a checkmate.

"Sorry, Pa."

***********************************************************************

After helping Arthit settle back in his apartment, his father was all packed up and ready to leave. Knott was helping him with his bags while Kongpob had gone to get him a taxi. Arthit looked around, he felt foreign in his own home. The last memories he had in this apartment were of the fateful day when the brick had come hurtling through the window.

"Ai'Knott, who fixed the window?"

"Oh that, N'Kong got it replaced."

His father cleared his throat, stepping over his bags, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I know you don't want to, but if you change your mind - you know I'd be on the first train to get you home -"

"Yes, Pa."

His father looked around his sparsely decorated apartment, frowning slightly.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving you here, didn't you say that they tried to attack you here -"

"Don't worry Uncle, N'Kong stays next door."

His father brightened up immediately.

"Oh, why didn't you say so? Great! I'll have a word with him, make sure he keeps an eye on you."