Chapter 8

Casper

Kellie hasn't said one word since I told her what my scars and bruises were for, and it's been a good half hour. I was being honest, but I guess she doesn't like honest.

She's all unicorns and rainbows, I guess.

"Okay, okay, I was kidding-"

"You weren't kidding," she snaps, looking at me. Once again her stare is too long, but I'm used to it. Devin could stare at my eyes for minutes upon minutes, and just about everyone else at least takes a few seconds longer to gaze.

"Well, you didn't seem so happy about it-"

"I'm not happy about it." She says, her face now looking forward. I can't help but wrinkle my forehead in confusion. What the hell does she want me to say? Must be a girl thing.

"What do you want me to say?" I ask, and she keeps her eyes narrow as she walks.

"Nothing."

"Nothing." I repeat, and I can see she's trying her hardest to hide a smile.

"That's not what I meant."

"You told me to say it."

"I want you to tell me everything," she says, and I pause.

"What do you mean everything?"

"About the brown eyed bastards."

I laugh at that. The brown eyed bastards? That's what she calls us?

"My dad used to call you all that. I still do."

"First off, don't label people you don't even know," I begin.

"But you're a killer," she snaps, "I have the right to call you a bastard, at least."

"So if you're twelve and get captured, forced to kill, and get beat up almost everyday, I have the right to call you a brown eyed bastard? Good to know." I'm angry, mostly because she doesn't know shit about this group. We don't kill because we want to, and I don't think she understands that.

"If you just told me, I wouldn't of-"

"Why the hell would I want to tell you about this?" I ask, but all she does is stare at me blankly.

"Because I'm trying to figure you out." She says simply.

But something in me ticks. I'm upset, and when I'm upset it usually turns into anger. 

"You want to know about me?" I ask, "well, why didn't you just say so! I'm a killer, like you said. I kill. I killed nine people yesterday, and only needed one more kill. And guess what? You were the perfect last kill."

I stop, because Kellie's eyes are watering, and I see a tear fall from her eye. She's probably afraid of me, and I don't blame her. Maybe I am a bastard.

I stay silent, mostly because I don't think she wants to hear any more about me, let alone wants to be with me right now. But she doesn't know where the city is, and I do, so she really has no choice. We walk for what it seems like a whole hour. The sun is at it's peak, blaring down on us. I'm used to the heat; it's only midday, I would still be out there killing for at least a few more hours.

"You needed one more."

Kellie speaks again out of the blue. It startles me, but I know exactly what she's talking about.

"Why one more?"

"It was my quota." I say. I decide lying to her is pointless now, so I tell her the truth. I hope she'll be able to handle it, because I'm not going to lie about things just to make it happy.