Chapter 9

Kellie

This boy never stops.

Always on the move, always running, always prepared for what could come next, always on survival mode. I've been laying low for a long time, so out running and risking my life like this is something my body isn't used to.

But it seems to be all Casper has even known.

I'm struggling to keep up with his long strides as he sprints. I'm sure he could've been long ahead of me, but I'm dragging him back. Soon the helicopter grows louder and louder, and my hair flies all around. I look back, and see that the helicopter has landed right behind us, and three people jump out, guns raised. Casper doesn't stop though, so I figure I shouldn't either.

"Casper!" I hear someone behind us yell. Casper doesn't even glance back.

"Come on Cas, stop!" I hear a girl yell, but still Casper keeps his head forward.

"You better stop right now, or we shoot this girl!"

Thank goodness Casper still somewhat cares about my life, because he slows down to a jog and ends up stopping, grabbing his gun and turning around. I do the same, standing as close to him as I can. It doesn't seem to bother him though, his eyes are fixed on the three people in front of us.

A boy, dark skinned and large, is actually smiling at Casper. There's two other girls, one with hair so short it doesn't even pass her ears, and another girl with such long blonde hair she has to tie it back to keep it out of her way. They all hold their guns, eyeing Casper with their brown eyes.

"Surprise, Cas, Devin wants you back." The boy says. The way he says it so simply, and also the nickname, tells me that Casper knows these people well.

"Surprise, Issac, I'm not going back." Casper says, but they all don't seemed phased at his words.

"You know he can't live a day without you, Casper." The short haired girl says.

"He's going to have to man up and move on, then." Casper says calmly, and once again I'm thankful for his little humor that he tries to give. I have a feeling that he's in a hell of a lot of trouble, but he hides it well.

"If he wanted you dead, you would've been gone by now, bud. But he wants you alive and well, so you're going to have to get on that helicopter," Isaac says, and that makes me realize that I'm surrounded by killers. Four of them; people who kill everyday, and I guess aren't afraid or phased to shoot their friends. No wonder why Casper is straight up and harsh, his best friend beats him up and his other friends would shoot him if they were ordered to. Man, am I glad I have my contacts on, if I didn't I'd be dead by now.

"I'm not getting on that helicopter," Casper says.

"Come on, Casper. You have to come back with us, please." The blonde haired girl says. She seems so innocent and kind, but I've wondered how many people she's killed.

"I left for a reason. No way I'm going back, and you guys know that."

"Who's this?" The short haired girl ignores Casper and eyes me up and down like prey. "Devin have someone we didn't know about?"

Whoever this Devin guy is sounds like a sick human being. Everything seems to revolve around him. I now understand why Casper would bring me to the city, he'd do anything to get away from him.

"She's not from there," Casper says, "let us go on our way. No harm done."

"Cas, you know there's going to be all sorts of harm if you don't get your ass on that helicopter," Isaac begins, "Devin's order. And unlike you, we follow the rules."