Chapter I

The sky turned a dusty orange and no twinkling stars were seen. In a matter of few minutes it changed to a shade of purple with hues and specks of orange, then blue and then finally a vast black abyss, a neverending canvas stretching on forever.

They didn't kill him, the warrior. He was condemned to a lifetime in a rotting old underground cellar- damp, cold and smelly. His hands were bound, chained to the wall behind him. The only illumination in the room was from the torchlight in one of the corners.

The war had unleashed the animal within him, which had eaten away his last smidge of humanity. The sound of silence was overwhelming. The warrior closed his eyes, his life flashing on his inward eye.

Everything was a blur as the moments flashed by, going back to the first few moments. A sigh escaped the warrior's mouth. The worst punishment was this torture by memories - they make you feel alive, but also suffocate you or drown you to death. The warrior scrunched his face, the pain of the heartbreak and memories too much to bear. But the memories were unforgiving, and they claimed his mind.

And then he saw her, dressed up in her usual white gown, the teardrop shaped pendant at her throat glinting in the light, her perfect heart shaped face and green eyes that bore into his grey ones - Ryena. She was smiling. Her inkings stretched across her clear skin. She was reading a book - That was the first time he had met her. He did not know who she was, or her place in the rankings. She was reading a book he had been reading, and they connected.

The next moment, Agenos was sparring with Ryena and they completed each other. They learned to use all kinds of weapons and powers together.

In another they were racing horses, and lying in the grass and gazing at the star studded night sky.

The other, their first diplomatic session together, and that's when he got to know who she really was.

His life with her had just started to brighten in his memories as they became good friends....
Ryena understood him, without him saying anything. Ryena knew him for him. Ryena was a part of him. Ryena loved him.

The warrior's heavy eyes drooped, but this wasn't the end.