Chapter 12

A little part of us always wonders what makes us different from the rest. The world is large because we're so small. This doesn't make us insignificant. We matter. We matter because we're the protectors, the doers, the brave.

Those who read, are very special. Their souls are marked with different stories of varied worlds. They find peace in yellowed pages.

But those who read, become more special, they become the Mystiques. Mystiques, who fight against all evil to protect the world which thinks evil is fictional.

All the stories you've heard, books you've read are true. They aren't just stories. So, the evil contained in them is real. Hordes of evil lurks in the shadows, and being Mystiques, their imagination gives them the power to see it, their mind is strong enough to fight it.

Such beings were Agenos, Ryena and their families and friends. There were less of them now than more so before. The cause was the war that threatened to plague the world ongoing for several years. Forefathers of the Mystiques saw the beginning of it and until now, no Mystique generation has seen the end of it.

Ryena takes note of all things present in her time of the world. Towering grey castles, iron weapons, sophisticated clothing, prim people and an improper flash of light, the Mystiques with their undefeatable iron towers, strange powers and weapons, standing at the boundaries protecting the innocent.

But only now she sees one broken man pressed under numerous feet of ice, bound in a freezing slammer, lost and demolishing. Agenos. The skin around his warrior hands is raw and bloody. His bones now stand out on his face and his body. His skin is sunken and swollen. His grey eyes have lost all light and have turned stony. The warrior who doesn't shiver even when the cold seeps into his bones. The warrior who doesn't scream or bellow even as agony scorches him from inside. The warrior who still breathes, even though he sure as hell doesn't want to. Would it be right, to tell him? Ryena ponders.

This man had given her everything. Protected her, cared for her, loved her, respected her, understood her and helped her. Even married her. And she had taken everything, everything away from him. He had the right to know. But Ryena's mind was stuck on the last thing he had given her - himself. And Ryena couldn't help but think back to their marriage and the events leading to it. Her hands unconsciously reached for her bare throat and traced patterns following the faint grey lines. The marks of the Mystiques. The marks that make them different, that make them who they are. A reader acquires these marks when he becomes a Mystique. And when something happens, these marks move around, creating different patterns. When they sweep up from the back curling behind the ears and cover the area around their eyes - it's the sign of an approaching fight. This one even the rookiest of the Mystiques knew. But Ryena's marks moved no more. Her chest constricted at the blasted thought. Her mind again wandered to things in the past, like her father telling her about the different patterned marks and their varied colours. She smiled. But then her mind reeled back to reality, and she once again looked down at the glistening white land and the man trapped beneath it from whom she held a dearest secret. He did have a right to know. And it may give him a hope to live and fight.

                                 ~*~

First chapter of 2018!
Happy New Year UNICORNS!! (Belated) 🌌
Have a terrific year! ❤
And sorry for the late update, Hopefully it will change this year!
Next chapter coming soon.
Stay tuned x