Chapter 14 - Bonus Chapter

*Rutherford*

I turned on my heel and marched away in front of them. Not too close, not to far away. The war in my heart raged on and my body was the battlefield. I'd seen the way her eyes lighted up when Hector was around...and just the sense of familiarity when she was with me. Ivy....if only I could tell her of my feelings. These feelings I wish I could get rid of...they made a warrior weak. She was my weakness, and Hector was my strength. The scale keeps tipping between the both of them. Seeing Hector unharmed filled me with relief, but the worry for Ivy consumes me. She's headstrong and careless, like a child.

I sneak a glance backwards and I see Hector pulling her towards him...feels like somebody drove their sword right through my wretched heart. She's happy, that I take note of. Happier than she was in the beginning. I wonder how I fell into the steps of just an elder brother to the both of them. I jerk my head away, I'm torturing my soul unwillingly.

"They're in love, Ruth."
I didn't see Milady fall in step beside me. What is the damned matter with you Rutherford, you just let down the great Mystique warriors! First rule is to always stay alert, forever sharp!

"Milady?" I ask, professionally masking my feelings like always.

She doesn't say anything, instead she gently squeezes my shoulder and pats my head. I shudder as the sudden feeling of being taken care of flows through me. I raise my eyes to meet the eyes of the woman beside me, there's understanding in them. She shakes her head at me when my eyelids shut tightly. And then there's a bead of moisture that betrays my eyes...I jerk my head away and look directly at the brightly burning torches up ahead. Milady doesn't say anything, she just moves closer to me, walking silently beside me. And I...I was grateful for her presence right now. She knows, someone at least knows of my suffering. And then the blasted thought enters my mind, that it should have been Ivy here instead of Milady. I unsheathed my blade in a flash and slid it across my palm. As I was about to make a fist, Milady kept her hand on mine. I saw as the crimson red stained her delicate white hand. Tearing a piece of cloth, she tied it around my wound. And then she raised her eyes upto mine, the intensity in them barred me from looking away. I felt as if we she was saying something to me, and I felt like I understood and somehow she knew I knew and nodded.

"Move faster Mystiques, it's going to be a long night."

I take a last look behind, at the keepers of my heart, my family. Their happiness will always come before mine and for them I will fight tooth and nail with every storm that dares to stand in their way. This love will not be lost in this cruel abyss, it will thrive. I will protect this beautiful bond that they have stumbled upon with every last drop of my blood.