Chapter 5

The dagger buried itself deeper into Agenos's chest as he screamed in agony. He strained against the rope binding his hands together. His body fell limply to the ground with a thud, as the blade of the dagger vanished inside him. The veins in his body stood starkly blue against his pale skin. The bone handle of the dagger dissipated. Agenos's grey eyes turned a shade darker.

Ryena put Invictus in a sheath and strapped it to the side of her heavy armor. She mounted Forte and turned towards the battalion of warriors behind her headed by Debanor.
"We are walking into the unknown to bring back one of ours. Today I ask you as your Queen to aid me in this endeavor. You're offered the dignity of free will always, you may choose to leave. But if you choose to stay today and fight alongside me, I must ask you to make a promise. I do not doubt your faith or loyalty, but I remind you we will not leave behind at any cost one of ours. All of us will come back home. You will fight to protect each other with all your strength, and even then if you've any strength left, you will battle to save yourself. You are fierce warriors and I believe in you. We will come back home, every single one of us." Ryena barked. Her green eyes were aflame.
"To the Mystiques!" The warriors raised their swords and cheered. The ground shook from their voices.

The cavalry galloped through the fallen city towards the cave structure at the end of the cliff. The continuous beating of the hoofs of the horses on the ground created a dust storm which overshadowed the cavalry. Storm had descended upon the wrecks once again.

The darkness in the cave was pierced by two ice-blue orbs or eyes. They roamed the walls of the cave and the torchlights reappeared. The eyes vanished. A gust of wind blew inside the cave and as it moved, it set traps.

The cavalry halted at a distance from the cave entrance. They dismounted their horses and scattered around the cave entrance. Ryena motioned for two warriors to take the lead, and she followed them with Debanor behind her. Ivy, the lady warrior in front of them, grunted in pain - her right foot was caught in a metal trap, it's spikes biting into her boots and dissolving in her skin. She growled and fell to the ground, clutching her right leg. She unsheathed her sword and swung it at the trap, and it gave away. She pulled out the spikes and pain spread through her body. Ryena rushed to her aid, and helped her stand, supported by the cool wall.
"Stay here, someone else will take your place." Debanor stated. She whistled and a man with fair hair entered. Hurt flashed in his eyes as he took in Ivy's state, but he quickly concealed it.
"Hector, take place of Ivy beside Rutherford." Debanor said to the man with fair hair. Another scream tore through the cave, a low howl from Rutherford. He was clasped in vines extended from the stone ceiling of the cave. The vines were extending themselves, wrapping itself around his body. Hector used his sword to cut Rutherford free. Another warrior, Jackson lay on his back fighting some spirit only he could see. And Ava, another lady warrior tried to dodge the now falling isciscles at the cave entrance.
The whole battalion had now entered, most of them getting caught in traps. Ryena was reluctant to leave her people like this, but Debanor persuaded her to move forward, for Agenos could be in grave danger.

Hood was drawn over the ice-blue eyes. The cloaked figure moved towards Agenos's still body. It turned his face over with his boot and pressed his boot heel into his cheek. Agenos's body jerked. The effect of the bone dagger was wearing off. A silver dagger with a red ruby set in the middle of it's hilt shone on the cloaked figure's belt. The silhouette walked away, the boot heels clicking on the damp stone floor. It was finally time.

Debanor and Ryena reached the end of the cave entrance. They looked around for a hidden door or passageway. Ryena touched Invictus to the end wall, and it shook. The cave vibrated with the sound of stone grinding against stone, as the wall began to move backwards. Ryena and Debanor moved towards it, and suddenly it swiveled, and they found themselves on the other side of the wall. Their legs gave away and they fell to the ground. They couldn't open their eyes. Now started the flashes of different moments and events. A few minutes passed when their eyes flew open. A single scented candle stood between them, providing slivers of light, so that they weren't bathed in darkness. Debanor's eyes were steady on Ryena's​ face. Ryena met her gaze with hers. Anger had replaced the blood coursing through her veins. She had encountered the truth.