8

Montani loved learning from the elves. Her family had been too poor for her to get regular schooling. She always found it funny that she could actually read and even write the elven language but couldn't the human language.

Now she is learning the Eldar and finds the similarities between the elven and eldar languages interesting. When she mentions this Mant smiles, "That's because the elves came from us."

She doesn't know why this shocks her so much but it does. Hadn't she recognized the similarities when she found Mauntie fighting the evil ones in the forbidden forest?

"I don't understand," Montani had become comfortable with the handsome Eldar as he was her closest companion. They were always together. Montani believed that it was because he was her tutor and would have been shocked to find that it's because he wants to keep the other males away from her.

"Long ago in our history it talks about the creation of the other races. But before that I'm going to tell you about the far history of our world.

"Long, long ago the gods created Bonita. For this beautiful planet they created caretakers, the Eldar. The Eldar watched over and protected the many varied and wonderful plants and animals that the gods had made.

For centuries the Eldar carefully watched over the plants and animals. They even communed with the animals and found the best way to help them. That was when the great eagles were our allies and would fly us great distances if it was needed for gathering of herbs and other medicinal plants. 

Once all the races were one, the Eldar. Some of our people had more of an affinity for some things than for others."

Mant pauses to collect his thoughts. He can tell that Montani is confused although she keeps her mask on tight.

He tries telling her a different way, "All our people have abilities. Just as you have your abilities. As you become more familiar with the possible crafts you can do with your abilities you will find if you have an affinity for one over another.

"In those days the Eldar were strong, far stronger than they are now.

"Some of our people had an affinity for hunting and wood lore. They preferred staying out in the woods and there wasn't anything that they couldn't track or hunt. They began to change. The more people that became like them the more they changed. They started marrying inside those that felt and had changed like they did. In time they became more fair, although they spent more time outside. They became more slender, more like young trees, saplings if you will. They loved the wilderness and the outdoors and became uncomfortable inside walls.

"In time they left the cities of the Eldar and made their own way, their own cities amongst those of like mind. They left the name of Eldar and became Elves. Their magic and abilities also changed and they were able to create some impressive things that we Eldar couldn't. At times our craftsmen and theirs would work together and craft some incredible items.

"Those items are rare and wondrous indeed.

"Other of our people took to delving deep into the earth and finding the treasures hidden there. They created masterworks of gold, silver and jeweled items beyond compare. 

"They became so enamored with finding the treasures that they would often take to staying in their mines. In time they too created their own cities with in the vast caverns of the mines they created. 

"They became shorter to better work the tunnels of the mine, stockier and more heavily muscled. They too would sometimes work with our craftsmen and the items of beauty they could create would take the breath away. At least that's what the stories say, the works of both the dwarves and eldar are no longer found. Some of the treasure that we lost long ago.