62

From that day onward the fighting became vicious and bloody. It took all their preparations and all their abilities to fight and kill the evil ones, but in the end it was Montani combining with Mant that saved them.

Like in the ancient days their combined abilities were far more incredible than either of them alone. Once they realized that they stayed with each other. Their powers were such that they were able to go far beyond their perimeters and go after the heart of the enemy.

Still the fighting took months and the defenders took heavy losses.

The elven king and nearly half the elves were killed.

The death pyres took days to send them off properly. Leear held to his mother to comfort her as they celebrated the king's life. Jewel held tight to his other side.

Leean fought bravely and although he survived he lost his arm in the fighting. Not even Teondae could save it, although he tried desperately to do so.

The dwarven losses were great as well. But they shrugged off their loss as if of no moment. "Mother asked this of us and we can't deny mother." Yet still Jewel found a quiet place in the palace garden to cry. Many of her good friends were among the dead.

The Eldar fought bravely and when they could they teamed up with the Vacar to wield the greater magic against their foes. Many Eldar and Vacar were found killed near each other.

Teondae doesn't let his sorrow show. This was his doing, bringing his people to this fight. So many of them dead after to long away from their homes.

"It isn't your fault Teondae. They, like you, made the decision to fight. No one forced them to. They have fought valiantly and history will show that your people aren't just vicious beasts. That you are valiant fighters and loyal to your friends. That is more than could be said for the humans." Montani says going to sit by him in his garden.

She and Mant have been asked to visit until their healing is complete.

"I know. Just like it wasn't your fault that Mant was hurt or like it wasn't Mant's fault that you nearly died. It's just the vagaries of war."

Mant had been hit by a lucky sword thrust of one of the evil humans running with the evil ones.

Montani had been distracted by this and was herself nearly killed. Indeed if it hadn't been for Teondae being near they both would have died.

They both sigh in the twilight as it turns to darkness. Tomorrow they along with the remaining Eldar will return to Malinor. Teondae had done as much healing as he could and once Montani was well enough she helped to heal as well.

Montani is anxious to return to her children. She honestly never thought to see them again. She was sure the spider bite alone insured that she wouldn't live. But then that deal with mother gave her another chance at life. A chance she almost didn't have much of several times.

The return to Malinor held no celebration. The joy of life for those that survived isn't something they are able to celebrate just yet. 

Montani and Mant both lost some good friends. No one was unaffected by this war.

Montani although fully healed took on a gaunt and haunted look that took her years to remove.

Mant became so sober that to get him to smile was a major feat. To get him to laugh, well that didn't happen for several years.

 They both found a great deal of solace in raising their children. Mant always claimed that Mariah reminds him of Montani and Montani swears that Matthias is a mini Mant.