34

"Teondae has stated that the Elders of his people are here. They wish to talk to us," Montani says.

"Very well, we will release your husband now." The representation of the house says rather shortly.

"Remember Eldar, you must learn to your full abilities. What was broken must be remade. If not than all will die." The two females fade out and the dreamscape leaves. Mant and Montani wake up.

"Was that real?" Mant says as he pull himself up into a sitting position.

"As real as it gets. It seems that you are far more accepted here than I am." Montani says and tries to hide her smile. For once it is Mant that is needed and not her.

"Not true, Montani. At least not entirely. If that were the case than you wouldn't have been gifted with the chain that you wear." Teondae says as the two get up slowly. He goes to them both and steadies them.

"The elders are here now, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to give you the answers to the questions that I know you must have. I'm sure that you have even more now than before." Teondae frowns in irritation. He doesn't like breaking his promises like this.

"It's alright, Teondae, it isn't your fault that we didn't have a chance to talk." Montani says soothingly. She looks over to her husband and gets a mischievous look in her eye. "It appears as though my husband needs lessons though."

Teondae looks at her questioningly and Mant says irritably, "Montani, enough already."

Montani ignores Mant, "He was told that he needs to learn the power that is in him or all is lost." Montani smirks a bit at the irritation Mant displays. "He was told to fix what was broken."

Teondae looks at her unsure if she was serious. Then he looks over to Mant. "She speaks right. The representation of the house and the land told me to mend what was broken or all is lost. Yet they didn't say what was broken." Mant is irritated and it shows in his voice.

Teondae is silent for some time after this information. "I had thought you might learn our magic, as the humans term it, and that you'd do well." He falls silent as he thinks further on the possible meanings of what Mant was told.

As one possibility comes forward and stays he looks at Mant in awe. "Could it be?"

Montani watches him and smiles as understanding comes to him.

"Teondae, I think you have those that wish to speak to us waiting? And Mant needs to eat as well." Montani says recalling the vacar to the here and now.

"Yes, of course you are right. Please, Mant, Montani, follow me. I will bring you some food Mant." Teondae says leading them back to the first floor and to a sitting room where the leaders of the Vacar people are waiting.

"Elders, I make known to you Prince Mant and his wife Princess Montani." Mant shakes his head.

"I'm afraid you have that wrong Teondae, I am a prince but Montani is the equivalent of a queen. She is our leader." Mant demurs. Leean is already sitting in a shadowed corner watching and waiting, listening wide eyed at the scene before him. Nothing in his life had prepared him for this.

"Forgive me, Montani," Teondae says aghast at his mistake.

Montani shrugs her shoulders, "Just because I'm a master of masters-"

The reaction of the Elders at her words makes her stop speaking. "Is there a problem good people? Sorry, I have no idea as to how I should address you." Montani says apologetically.

"You are a master of masters and you are human?" The vacar elder waves away her apology. Her tone is incredulous.

Mant bristles at the implied insult to his wife. "Yes, she became one less than a year ago."

"Peace prince, we mean no disrespect to your wife." A second elder states, this one a male. "It's just a human, we've never heard of a human achieving that status before. But then we've never heard of a human being accepted by the Eldar before either."

"It's fine, Mant." Montani says laying a calming hand on Mant's arm. "I saved the life of Mauntie, Mant's father here. Actually it was on Teondae's lawn where I called him back from the journey of the dead. He had taken on three evil ones. I made sure they were dead then healed his wounds and called him back. Mauntie, overcame his dislike of humans and invited me into his home and welcomed me with his people. I had a great incentive to learn. It was the only thing keeping me from killing myself."

The elders hold themselves still. It is Teondae that breaks the silence, "We don't understand Montani."

Yet it is Mant that speaks for her. Montani is lost in her bitter memories. It has been far harder coming back here than any of them can understand. "Montani's family was killed by the evil ones that were killed by my father. She found them ripped to pieces. It was hard for her mind to accept so she needed something to concentrate on. Then, I left and all the progress she had had was taken away."

Montani once more lays her hand on Mant's arm and he stops talking. "Mant left to allow me to continue learning without being distracted. He was captured and tortured by the evil men that work with the evil ones. It took him five years to come back to me. He made it back to me on the night of the celebration of me becoming a master of masters."

The elders look at both of them in awe. They both have accomplished much. "Just how long did you take to become a master of masters?" Finally the female that first spoke speaks again.

"Ten years," Montani says, but there is no pride in her accomplishments. Her words though make the elders stare at her in wonder. The Eldars take nearly a century or longer in order to master everything.

"Are you sure that she is human?" A third elder demands of Teondae.

Teondae's eyes grow wide and Mant restrains Montani. "My family was forced to move from the village I was born in because of my abilities. The second village barely accepted me, the elves accepted me far more than the humans did, but yes, I am human. There are many humans that would disclaim this because of my abilities though." Montani hisses and turns to leave.

"Forgive us, Queen. It's just that you, a human have accomplished so much. It is just very difficult for us to understand."

"You are forgiven," but Montani continues out of the room anyway. Just because she can forgive someone doesn't mean she wishes to remain near them.

As she leaves there is an awkward silence that fills the room. The elven prince finds his voice. "She suffered greatly at the hands of the humans while growing up. If things had been different then she would have been my step mother." Leean gets up and leaves to find Montani.

There is silence at the young elf prince's words. "He loves her. Mant did you know?" Teondae breaks the silence.

"I suspected when I saw how Leear looks at her. She has a great deal of respect and love towards the prince. When he didn't come to her birthday dinner when she turned sixteen I know it hurt her. It wasn't until recently when she found out why, he was busy defending the borders of the elven lands." Mant is very thankful for those attacks. Although it meant the death of Montani's family, it is what brought her to him.