43

Montani steps back and Mant steps up protectively towards her. The other two aren't sure what to do, but take a ready stance. Montani has her head canted to one side and a small smile on her face. Soon several stocky figures come out of the darkened entry way.

They don't have any visible weapons showing which allows the three others to relax, but Montani doesn't change either expression or stance. She just continues to wait as the dwarves take in their appearance.

"A human, an Eldar and an Elf," The Dwarf looks them over carefully but his words stop when he reaches Teondae. He takes a deep breath and lets it out in awe, "a Vacar." There is a general muttering at his words. The Dwarf takes a step in Teondae's direction to get a better look at him.

"It's true, the Vacar have returned then?" The Dwarf says softly. Montani believes the question was meant just for Teondae, but they all heard it.

"We have returned yes," Teondae responds solemnly to the dwarves question.

The Dwarven male, at least that's what Montani believes the little one in front of them to be, gestures for them to follow him. The dark hole that is the entrance to the mountain is now lit brightly. "Please, come and be refreshed. Food is being made ready. Rooms are set aside for you."

"How do they know of the Vacar?" Leean asks darkly.

Mant is amused, "The better question would be, Why are they so excited at the return of the Vacar and treat him as an honored guest instead of horror like all the other races?"

Montani just keeps her little smile and listens to her companions as they follow their host down the cold stone corridors.

"Montani?" Mant asks worriedly as she remains silent.

"She is communing with the Earth spirit. She will be fine," Teondae explains to Mant.

"Do you know why?" Mant asks Teondae.

"Why they are excited to see me?" Teondae asks for clarification. At Mant's nod Teondae shakes his head. "They should be terrified of the stories as well. The only guess I have is that they know the truth, but that's unlikely. It might have something to do with Earth magic though." Teondae says thoughtfully.

"How's that?" Leean and Mant both ask.

"It's very strong here. Her presence is almost overwhelming actually." Teondae thoughtfully replies. It explains why Montani is lost in the song. 

Mant thinks it's just as well Montani is lost in the Earth's song. She prefers open ground and the wide hall they had entered had now become much more compact. Montani doesn't do well in small spaces. And when Mant says doesn't do well he means she goes crazy. 

At length their guide brings them to another hall that is large and the corridor they go through isn't nearly so cramped. Montani seems to come out of her communion and acts much more naturally with those that she's with.

"Teondae, you will be the one to talk to them." Montani says in a whisper soft voice that doesn't carry beyond Teondae's ears. Her instructions startle Teondae considerably.

"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to jeopardize anything by being the spokesperson negotiating with the Dwarven people." Teondae demurs but he is pleased by this. He's pleased that there is a people that don't hate his people on sight. That there was even a people that could recognize his people.

"I am sure, the dwarven people have a close relationship with the land. They will listen to you far more than they will me or the others." By now they have reached the rooms set out for their use. "The land has prepared them to listen, but it will be up to you to get them to agree. Some are already willing, others wish to remain in their mountain homes. It is you that must make sure they join or they will die." Montani instructs. "And Teondae, she is getting really impatient with you, you should try communing with her soon or she will become angry."

Teondae winces at her words. The price is great when the land becomes angry with the vacar. 

"Thank you Montani. I will take advantage of this time of resting to commune with her." With that Teondae goes into his room and shuts the door.

Leean looks from the vacar's room to Montani. Confusion is written all over his face. "Montani? What is going on?"

"The Vacar have a close relationship with the land. They use the music of the land to shape some of their magic. Teondae is a chosen champion of the land and as such has strong abilities, but he's not been listening to the music as much or deeply rather, as he should. The land is getting impatient and demands his attention. He needs this time to commune with her so that she doesn't get angry with him." Montani explains to the confused elf.

"Is it so very important then?" Leean asks still not sure what's going on.

"In his case, very much so." Montani has another small smile gracing her lips.

"Montani, you're hiding something from us," Mant states not in the mood to play games.

"Yes, because it's not my place to say anything. Teondae is a key player here, and it will be his time to shine. Leave well enough alone, Mant. All will be made clear in the future."

With that Montani enters her room and starts getting ready for a bath. They have been traveling for a few days without one and she really wants to get clean again.

Mant follow's Montani leaving a still somewhat confused elf behind.

"You seem lost elf," a soft voice says at Leean's side.

"I really don't understand Montani's explanation of music of the land or Teondae or any of it." Leean knows that the explanation shouldn't make sense to anyone not a part of their discussion, but the female seems to understand.

"Ah, the elves commune with nature on a different level than the vacar and dwarves do. Go into your meditative state and open yourself to your surroundings. There much will be made clearer to you, son of the sky." Leean turns to the speaker at her words of ancient knowledge.

His eyes open wide at the sight before him. The female smiles brilliantly at him. "Of you all, I thought it would be you that would hear me first. It seems the sky people are losing touch with my music even more than I had thought." Although she smiles there is great sadness in her words.

"Forgive me?" Is all Leean can say.

"There is nothing to forgive, Leean. In time all things change. The change seems sudden to me, yet has been coming for some time, I just didn't wish to see it. Your people will have a choice young prince. You can teach them how to find me once more or you will lose the magic that you have in just a few generations. That is, of course, if you survive this coming war."

"Can we survive?" Leean asks diffidently.

"Perhaps, the future isn't set in stone either way. The forces of evil are strong and the defenders are few. Should Montani, and you all fail in forging the new alliance with all of the races than your valiant efforts aren't likely to yield favorable results." The female replies soothingly.

"If the alliance is forged?"

"Then there is a far better chance, but again nothing is set in stone until it happens." The female looks down sadly. "I do not see all, but I do see future sadness. Not all of this party will survive the coming conflict. Which members live and which fall is hidden from me. Prepare yourself well young elf prince." Then the female leaves his side and a bemused elf remains behind in the halls of stone.