38

"Mant and I are leaving tomorrow," Montani says breaking the awkward silence that has fallen. "Leean, you don't have to continue with us. I know that I make you more than nervous. The evil ones have grown bold to come so far in such numbers, you will see the side of me that terrifies you. I will not have you as a companion if I cause such fear."

Montani turns to Teondae, "You as well.  I will get the dwarves to join the alliance and accept you without your presence." She is avoiding looking at Teondae as she says this.

"Montani-" Teondae starts to say but Montani just gets up from the table and leaves the room. 

Mant sighs heavily. "Please, forgive her. We will be leaving at first light Teondae, there will be no need for you to send us on our way. We do thank you for your hospitality and the gifts that we have been given. We will do our best to bring no shame to them."

Teondae gives a bitter laugh, "You can't bring more shame to those gifts. The knife, well I warned you about it. It killed it's last owners wife, the owner killed himself once he realized what it had done. As for the bow guard, well like I said it was my brother's. After the shame he brought to it, I think it longs to be cleansed and that's why it chose Montani.

"I will be going with you, so I will be waiting at the door for when you are ready." Teondae says as he stands. "I'll have some provisions ready as well. Montani, she hasn't changed, I have and it's not her fault. I've hurt her and I need to fix that if I can."

Mant laughs bitterly at that. "You can try. I've been trying since I hurt her. I'm still not sure if she's forgiven me. I'll see you tomorrow then."

"I'll be coming too." The soft voice of the elven prince stops Mant in the act of moving.

Mant looks over at the young prince. "What you saw today is but a small part of what can happen when Montani goes into blood lust. You didn't take it well. You will hurt her even more if you come and then reject her further by your actions. It has taken her years to open up to people. What happened today has set her back quite a bit. I will not let that happen again."

Leean looks at Mant with wide eyes, "What do you mean that's just a small part of what happens?"

"When she finds a family, especially when there are children involved, that is killed it throws her right back to the time her family was killed. She loses all semblance of Montani and returns to Katiri. But a Katiri you wouldn't recognize, the Katiri that came to us, broken and dead inside. She will not recognize you, she might not even recognize me. If that happens stay out of her way, for she won't hesitate to take you down.

"When evil ones attacked the sentry and killed my friend that was the guard I thought we lost her for good." Mant looks at both of the men still in the room with him. "She was with people that accepted her for who she is completely and she still...we almost lost her again.

"She's still recovering from the last time, when I left. There aren't many more times she can be broken and come back. If accepting her as she is, no matter how terrifying she is, is something you can't do, it will be better that you don't come with us in the morning. Better for the alliance as well.

"Goodnight, Teondae, Leean." Mant gives them both a short bow before leaving the room.

Teondae is left in his thoughts before Leean pulls him back to the present. "Can you do it, Teondae?"

Teondae gives the elven prince a small bitter smile. "That human scares me more than anyone I've ever met. She could've taken on and won against the whole of the rebel vacar single handedly. You heard what I told her earlier." Teondae's words aren't a question, but a statement and Leean nods absently. "I meant each and everyone one of them. Had she been born back then, and been trained like she had been the vacar would be no more.

"But that doesn't answer your question. I don't know. What I do know is I have to try. She hasn't changed any, just my perception of her. She has always, from the time I've known her, been like that, I just hadn't seen it. I imagine it was rather like that for you as well," Teondae waits for Leean's nod before continuing.

"For you, it truly isn't necessary to continue, but for me and my people, I have no choice. Montani is many things and perhaps she'll be able to pull off miracles for my people even if I'm not there, but I can't count on that. I will be leaving with her in the morning. If you choose to return to your people you are welcome to stay until you are ready to go."

"You must think me a weak fool," Leean says softly.

Teondae laughs in incredulous delight. "Didn't I just admit to being terrified of her? Taking the easy way out doesn't make you a weak fool. I need to get some provisions ready for the morrow. The house is yours to explore, if any rooms are locked it's because the house itself doesn't wish for you to see the room. The house has already shown it's willingness to share its treasures though." Teondae stops himself from saying anything further and stands up and bows to Leean before leaving.

Leean stands and tries to follow his erstwhile host, yet Teondae has already made himself scarce. So he takes Teondae's advice and decides to explore even as he tries to straighten his confused thoughts.

"Careful princeling where you walk," The amused voice of the female says as Leean just about walks into the wall of the conservatory.

Leean looks up and finds himself staring at the most beautiful female he's ever seen. "Who are you?"

The female smiles and gives him a laugh that reminds him of the tinkling notes of music. "I am the spirit of this house, young prince."

Leean just looks at her with a blank look, hiding his confusion quite well. The female smiles once more, but no longer laughs. "Forgive me prince, it has been long since I've had the chance to tease someone like this. You are deep in thought and in need of guidance, not mayhem. I will not tell you what to do, for your journey is your own. What I will tell you is, follow your heart. Montani has suffered greatly in her young life and she needs all the love and help that she can get. But there is greater reason than that, you know the tales from the great war that tell of valor and great deeds?" The female smiles and gives a small sniff.

"Of course you do, you're elven and the elves thrive on that kind of stuff. Do you remember the tales of the hero, the central hero throughout the war?"

Leean thinks about all the tales he's heard about the war and then he nods slowly. The female nods back. "Good, Montani is destined to play that role. The problem is, will she survive long enough?"

"There is a chance that she won't finish the alliance isn't there?" Leean says in understanding.

"There is always that chance of that happening, but if she doesn't have the companions she should then the chance increases. Montani is terrifying when she fights the evil ones, but even she can succumb if she is overwhelmed." The lady smiles sadly this time.

She makes a gesture and something appears before Leean, "It has chosen you as it's owner. Remember princeling, listen to your heart. Whichever journey you choose, have a good one." With that the female is gone and Leean bends down and picks up the gift of the house.

"Once more it seems a treasure long dormant has chosen an owner. Guard it well and it will guard you as well." Teondae says as the silvery armor shimmers in the moonlight shining through the glass wall.

"It's beautiful," Leean says in more than a little awe. The elven armorers were some of the best ever.

"Yes, not even the dwarves could make armor like that. It will serve you well in the upcoming war."

"I don't recognize the metal," Leean says watching entranced as the light runs over the links.

"That's because it isn't metal. That armor is forged of pure magic." Teondae gives the stunned elf a bow and leaves the room.