52

Teondae races home and feels the welcoming warmth as he returns to the Vacar lands. He lets out a sigh of relief as the warmth surrounds him. He'd forgotten how much the difference of his homeland was to the rest of the world of Bonita.

"Teondae, why do you return before the fighting has started?" The only one of his people he sees before he enters his home asks.

"Tre'en I must hold council with the elders, gather them for me and have them come to my home in two hours." Teondae states as he enters his house.

"Yes, sir," Tre'en says and takes off to go looking for and summoning the Elders of the Vacar.

Teondae goes into his house and retires to his room. The place he can relax fully and there he allows himself to release all the tension that he hadn't even realized that he'd been holding. That is also where he allows himself to feel the pain he has for failing to heal Montani fully. He takes a quick shower that helps to further relax him before he allows himself to open the communing with his mother.

Teondae enters the hall and opens his door to the elders as they come into his home. His steps are slow and heavy. His communing hadn't brought him the answers that he had hoped for.

His bids them all to sit. Once they have refreshments and are comfortable Teondae tells them why he has returned and the help he needs. He talks with the elders of his people for some time before they finally finish with their meeting and break up for the time being.

Teondae thanks each one for coming and helping him try to find a solution for his problem. He escorts them to his door and feels the weight of his failure. He prepares to leave once more as the last elder assembles the last of her things to leave.

"I have heard of this spider and its bite is deadly, Teondae, there is nothing more you can do other than what has been done and said." She takes something and hands it to him. "It isn't a perfect answer, but it might help. That you've managed to keep her alive as long as you have is miraculous." Teondae takes the small item in his hand. He studies it than turns his attention once more to the elder that has given it to him.

"You will know what to do when the time is right. Montani must lead this war, fight, battle whatever you want to call it." The elder nods her head towards the item, "That will make it so that she will more likely live to do so. But the price is high, like all magical healing, and the price isn't always paid by the one receiving the gift."

"I understand Elder Tianna, thank you." As the elder makes her way out of the house and onto her home Teondae stares at the item given to him. Such a small thing to have potentially such great dealings to their future.

Finally Teondae drags his eyes away from the object and makes his way back to the Elven city and the council meeting taking place. He just hopes that it won't be too late for Montani.

Montani is bored, beyond bored, the council just keeps going around and around in circles on what they are going to do. Nothing she says is helping and no real plans are being made. She's about had it. Finally the last of her patience snaps, "Enough! We have accomplished nothing since this morning except get on each others nerves. Let's eat and then meet together tomorrow. During this time off everybody needs to think about something other than what has been presented and give another idea or ideas tomorrow. As for the ideas from today think about and write why you think an idea is good and why you think it's bad. I'll be doing the same and then we'll look at the new ideas and do the same." She stands up not letting any one say anything more and ends the council that day.

The other members are a bit chastened by her outburst stand silently and no little sheepishly as she and Mant leave.

Teondae joins them for the council the next morning. He's wearing a frown so Montani doesn't think that things went well for him.

"Teondae? Welcome back." She says as she gives him a hug.

Teondae is unused to such gestures and is frozen in surprise by it. The hug is over before he can even begin to return it. He turns to Mant and is reassured by his slight smile.

"Montani doesn't show affection to many people, but she considers you a good friend. Don't be surprised if she hugs you in the future as well." Mant's amusement stops with his next words though, "You didn't find the answer you were looking for did you?"

"Answers, Mant and no I didn't. Not even the elders of my people know how to help Montani although they did give some suggestions on the upcoming fight. I would strongly suggest taking them and implementing them. I might make the difference between some living and us all dying." Teondae is dead serious and the words Mant had been about to say dry up.

"You've heard more?"

"My people gave me in depth reports of the situation they are keeping an eye on. The forces are far stronger than we had believed. We should pull all humans from the other fortifications and gather them all to this one. It will give us the most time to prepare."

"You don't sound to optimistic my friend." Mant says unhappily.

"I'm not. The last full out war decimated the forces of good, the evil wasn't nearly this strong. Your people aren't here, the dwarves aren't here, just one representative and they haven't committed fully to the fight. The elves are divided. My people will fight, but even with the full strength of all the peoples it is doubtful that many will survive."

Mant's lips thin down in anger, "Then I guess the truth should be made known. Montani is about to start the meeting. My people will be here next week."

Teondae shakes his head, "That's when they are supposed to be here, but my people say that they aren't ready yet." It will take at least a week for them to travel laden with supplies for a long battle.

"Montani needs to know. She's going to be beyond pissed with this news. You might want to be prepared to duck." Mant says congenially.

"Duck? Why would I-"

"She'll start throwing things and she doesn't miss." Mant isn't laughing or even smiling. Montani has a deadly aim and he's been the recipient of it more than once.