Chapter One

1 | A L I V I A

1 | A L I V I A

_____________________

The day has finally come.

Today was choosing day, the day I finally get to choose for my future.

If I want to be intelligent and smart, choose Erudite; if I want to be happy, peaceful, I'd go to Amity; be honest and blunt, go to Candor; and be brave and strong, be Dauntless.

But to be generous and selfless, stay in Abnegation.

Hours ago, I took my test to know which faction best suites me. But, Agnes, the woman from Dauntless, announced me as a Divergent.

My test was inconclusive; the test didn't work on me.

Erudite, Abnegation and Dauntless.

Years ago, I was shocked to hear from my parents that my sister, Beatrice, went to Dauntless. I was even left speechless that my brother, Caleb went to Erudite. He seemed like he would fit so well in Abnegation.

But it seems like he fits even better in Erudite because he hid his textbooks well.

Today, I know that I am going to follow her- Beatrice's- footsteps. I always knew I was fit for Dauntless. I always watched them jump on and off the train everyday; I admired them for their bravery.

"Alivia, come down to breakfast." My mother sounded just steps away from my room.

I quickly went downstairs for breakfast right after changing into some gray Abnegation clothing.

After eating breakfast, my parents and I went to ride the bus to the Hub.

As Abnegation, we are selfless and give our seats to other people. So, my parents gave their seats to two other Candor men.

But being me, I don't because I am not selfless at all. People tell me that I will really be fit for Dauntless.

Number one, because of said reason. I don't give my seat to others. I don't enjoy feeding the factionless.

Two, because I tend to end up in small fights in school, defending others just like how the Dauntless are.

This makes me Dauntless.

Right?

We filed out of the bus and walked into the Hub which was filled with many peole, mostly all the sixteen year olds of the city who are going to choose their factions, like me, today.

The ceremony started with Jeanine talking about the faction history and how they came to help keep the peace in the present.

I zoned out immediately.

That is, until I heard my name being called.

"Alivia Prior."

I stood up and went to the stage with all the nerves bundled up in the pit of my stomach. I released a steady but nervous breath as I closed the stairs and went up.