Chapter 16

Ashlyn pov

I clutch my binders to my chest, my shoulders feeling heavy,fear weighing  them down. Maybe it wasn't such a good thing that Cameron interfered, I think he just made Katie hate me more. 

I brush my shoulder with nearly every cheerleader in the hallway, their dark eyes glaring at me in a death threatening way as they nudged past me to the cafeteria.

Did Katie turn every single person in this school against me? Wow. I should of expected she would do something evil like that, why am I so surprised?

Snickers echo throughout the lunch room when I enter, making me lower my head as I rush to an empty lunch table. I let my hair fall in front of my face so they would stop staring at me, their eyes made me feel insecure and uncomfortable.

I quietly pull out an apple, brushing it off on my shirt as I glance out the window, huddling up in the corner. It was humid outside. Making it almost hard to breathe. Even though it was raining.

I sigh, resting my chin in the  palm of my hand as I watch the rain in fascination. It's funny how I can watch something for hours, entertained while others would fall asleep or stare at it glumly. But I guess that's me. Different . Strange. Fat. Weird.

" Fatty" a taunting voice whispered in my ear, making me flinch immediately as I glance to my right to see the Cheerleaders and Football players flooding my table, their eyes gazing at to see my reaction. I mentally scream as Katie sets a hand on my shoulder, making me take a long stare at it. She grips my shoulder tightly, her nails pinching my skin which made me whimper.

" So Chuncky, did you enjoy my gift from earlier? She grins brightly as I furrow my eyebrows, confused. Gift? What gift?

My mind flashed back to this morning, and I tense as I remember her tearing up my dictionary. Oh.

"Uh, yeah , I really enjoyed it." The sarcasm that coated my voice made her narrow her eyes at me as the jocks chuckles slightly, trying to cover it up with a cough.

"Oh really? Aren't you going to say thank you? She asks in a sickeningly sweet tone, pouting like I offended her. Angry word were on the tip of my tongue, as I try to not grit my teeth.  I was going to squeak out a thank you but refused to when pride ripples through my body.

Something as cruel as what she  did deserves seem kind of punishment. I shake my head, but immediately regret it when her face turns pink.  She clenches her jaw, grabbing my hair and tugging on it roughly which makes me grumble in annoyance at the unbearable pain.

"What was that bitch?" she growls, still gripping my hair which makes me slide backwards in my seat, almost falling off.

"T-thank you" I whisper in shame, my breaths coming out short when she tightens her grip, shoving me forward violently.

" What was that?" She asks, I could already tell she was smirking in mischief. 

"Say it" she commands, her words coming out in a hushed tone.

" T-thank you f-for the gift..." I manage to get out, my voice shaking with a stutter.

"That's a good fat dog." Katie grins crazily, patting my head rather roughly while getting up from her seat. Was she referring to me as a female dog, also known as a b with an itch.

They all sneer in disgust and follow Katie like some love sick puppies.

"Cuz that was totally the best 'gift' I've ever gotten."I mutter under my breath sarcastically as I roll my eyes.

"I bet it was" A snort comes from above me making me flinch and look up frantically, worrying it was one of Katie's suck up's that decided to stay around for laughs. But the worried feeling  left when I saw  Cameron in front of me, his football jacket pulled close to his body, his head lowered like he didn't want anyone to see me near him, as he smiled at me.

"Yeah, whatever floats your boat." I roll my eyes to the ceiling.

"Look Ashlyn. I just came to clear things up. Just because I helped you earlier doesn't mean I always will, I'm not your body guard." He murmurs, eyeing his surroundings probably to make sure no one was listening in.He wouldn't want anyone to know he was the Fat girl's 'best friend'.  I try not to show the hurt that crossed my face by slouching in my seat, a poker face set.

"It's not like I expected you to protect me or something." I scoff, crossing my arms over my chest in offense. Cameron glanced around the cafe once more before nodding his head.

" You know, I don't attract alot of attention, you dont need to look around a million times to check to see if anyone's staring at us. I assure you." I spit out.

"Excuse me?" he glares at me murderously, making me raise an eyebrow.

" You heard me" I retort back stubbornly.

"Watch your mouth, Ashlyn, you could get yourself into more trouble then you already are in." he smirks, his eyes squinting me over before he winks casually.

What happened to my best friend?