13

THE TRUTH | thirteen

   "has she killed anyone that was innocent?" he continued. the luna was hesitant to answer, but she knew that she would have to answer him sooner or later.

     "yes, she has."

   jay's eyes widened at what he just heard. the luna rephrased her answer. "well, it wasn't on purpose." she stated quietly as she closed the book that she was holding in her hands. the wolf's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "how the hell do you not kill someone on purpose?"

    the luna hesitated. "she was nine, and didn't have control under the full moon." she explained, "danielle has control now, since she's older. but every now and then, she'll have a bit of trouble."

     jay frowned. "that's probably why zico wanted to kill her." he mumbled quietly. then he remembered what was said to him before zico left. "if you want to know what happened to your sister, ask the girl."

     he began to ask another question, but his attention was now focused on danielle's best friend that had just ran into the room.

     "she's awake."

    that was all it took for jay to bolt out of the room. when he got to the infirmary, danielle was awake — just like ondina had stated. the blood had been cleaned off of her, but bruises were still visible on her skin. he opened the door, and danielle's head shot up to look in his direction.

    "jay—"

   jay took quick strides over to the bed and wrapped her into an embrace. "i'm so glad you're okay." he mumbled quietly. danielle was hesitant, but returned the hug. "yeah, i'm okay....but that little girl isn't." danielle frowned.

    "you tried to save her, that's all that matters." jay said, trying to make her feel better. the teen removed herself from the hug and sighed. "jay, i wasn't able to." she stated, "how do you think her parents are going to feel when they find out that their daughter was killed — and i couldn't do anything about it?"

     her mind trailed to nine years ago, and danielle's frown deepened as she looked at the older man in realization. "what's wrong?" jay asked, now wondering about what she's thinking. "you look familiar..." danielle answered quietly. this caught the alpha offguard.

     "what?"

    the door opened, which made their heads turn to see the luna. "danielle." she started. "mom, please tell me that she wasn't his sister." danielle pleaded quietly. jay raised an eyebrow at the teen, and then looked at her mother. "what is she talking about?" he asked.

     "when she was nine, danielle had a best friend." the luna explained. jay's jaw clenched, "okay, she had a best friend — what does that have to do with me?" he asked, getting a little on edge. danielle looked over at the older man, "what was your sister's name?" she asked quietly.

     a pained expression made its way to the man's face. "why?" he asked. "how long has she been gone?" danielle continued. jay sighed and looked down, "nine years."

     danielle felt her eyes well up with tears. 'nadia, why does his facial expression hurt me so much?' she asked her wolf. "because, he's your mateyour emotions are connected with his."

     "oh my god." dani gasped, a tear escaped her eye and made its way down her cheek.

     the next words that came out of the teen's mouth were words that jay never wanted to hear.

     "i killed your sister."

×××

now i present to you, chapter thirteen!!! two updates within two days, i'm so proud of myself bruh 😏. i know that this chapter is a bit shorter than the last few chapters, but the next will be better 👌.

luv y'all!
-kp 💕